FORUMS: list search recent posts

What capture setup best with this lot ?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Merlin
What capture setup best with this lot ?
on Apr 11, 2004 at 1:48:54 pm

Hi,
Complete newbie at this and seeking appropriate guidance (idiot proof ) from some kind soul who remembers what it was like !
Approaching I hope my goal of being able to convert S-VHS, VHS, Betamax and Hi8 footage from VCR/camcorder onto DVD.

MY SETUP:-
I have Pentium 3.2Ghz 2Gb ram Pc with WinXPhome, with Plextor DVD writer and Teac DVD reader. 20Gb partition for video creation on 2nd HD.
Geforce FX5950 ultra with Svideo in socket
Audigy2 Platinum with choice of red/white phono in, or firewire in
Also a WinTVgo by Hauppauge model 607 (yellow video phono sckt and 3.5mm jplug sound in and out)

Software I have is Adobe Premiere 6.5

VCR is an S-VHS model with Svideo out sckt, also scart out and obviously coax out. (and inputs phonos yel/red/white and also Svideo on front)

I gather that the best way to convert Hi8 analog to digital is to borrow a Hi8 camcorder (mine's dead) and plumb it into the MiniDV Panasonic MX8 I have which does the conversion 'on the fly'.
This MX8 has :-
a 3.5mm sckt called AVin/out Phones.
Another called D.Still Picture.
An Svideo in/out.
An 8 pin square with rounded side sckt called Digital (to USB)/EDIT(mini) ( I use to plumb into usb PC and transfer stills from camcorder)
A square sckt called DV which takes a firewire lead.

MY QUESTIONS:
Just what do I do to convert the aforementioned footage and record it as high quality onto DVD ?
...and how best to plumb in the VCR and the camcorders

Also wondering if for camcorder footage I am best to use the firewire and phono red/white just on the Audigy ? (no firewire on the Motherboard oddly enough (its an MSI 875p neo). Does Firewire in fact transfer sound as well (yes I am a newbie at this but a master at photoshop and graphics ! ).

What do I select in Adobe Premiere to start recording, do I indicate sound and video input sources within it, does it suss the sources itself...and whats best format for quality footage capture for later editing ?

Can I use PC as a VCR as the Hauppauge receives TV in theory ! When I manage to get an aerial plumbed into it, it should tune into cable and Antenna. Bit disillusioned at moment though as got nowhere through plumbing VCR into it with coax, scanning found no signal. Tried test signal and footage, perhaps need scart to yellow phono ??...many hours wasted.

Over to you please as confused.

Merlin

Return to posts index

Michael P
Re: What capture setup best with this lot ?
on Apr 11, 2004 at 5:19:22 pm

I only have a limited amount of time right now, but i will try to answer as many questions as I possibly can.

first off, Firewire does transfer DV audio and Video. in premiere, you will have to first create a project, just name it what you want and save it to the drive that you have allocated for video (which by the way is EXTREMELY insufficient, DV takes up around 12gb per 1 hour of footage(video and audio), and that is before Premiere changes the Audio to conform to their standards, and creates an extra sound file! Unless you are thinking of uploading certain portions via TimeCodes, your space will be taken up extremely fast. I personally have over 800gb (dual internal 160gbs, another 30 gb internal (For XP64bit public beta), and dual 250gb external hard drives via USB2, which i created by buying the hard drives for 150 bucks at best buy, then using an external enclosure to make the drive convert to a USB interface) of space on my system now, to deal with Backing up client's tape before using the Timecode system to import certain clips.)

Whew, sorry for that rant. Anyways, after you create a project and the main Premiere interface pops-up simply hit the "f5 (of function 5)" button near the top of your keyboard, and the capture box will open up. If you have your camera plugged in and on VCR mode, then the camera should be recognized by Adobe, and you should be ready to import. The Reason DV takes up so much more space then analog video is due to a few key differences in Quality. DV uses High quality video, around 2 times the resolution of normal TVs. Also the Sounds has a lot higher sampling rate, and a faster bit-rate as well. I would recommend getting more storage, as your first course of action for that system (unless you are just going to have DV editing as a hobby, working on one project at once, then clearing space afterwards). If you find a local Retailer that has a good Non-mail in rebate discount on hard drives, go to Circuit City or Best Buy, and they will give you 110 percent of the price difference off the same item.

To do with the VCR recording, i highly do NOT recommend it if you are going to be putting it on a DVD afterwards, due to the VCR program will use a much lesser quality Video and Audio source than that of the dvd standard, and if you are only using premiere, you will more than likely get poor product results (I normally experience pixelation, slight discoloration, etc).

One last thing, if your 5950 has Video In, then you NEED to install special drivers to have video-in/Video-out (ViVo) technology work correctly. The link for the latest one is right here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_2.20) These drivers work great, but if you need to backup something that is "copyrighted" it will not work. You would have to find old Macrovision Free drivers, I can't help you with info on where to get those, as they are quite buggy, and promote piracy.

Anyways, i hope this helps you out. I gotta run, but I hope that you have good luck on your projects, and that though i go off on several rants, that you can understand what I'm saying.

Have a good day.

Return to posts index

Merlin
on Apr 12, 2004 at 4:01:33 am

NfoRcErX,
thanks V much for replying, the clouds are clearing somewhat !

Firewire does transfer DV audio and Video...thats good to know, so I can firewire the MiniDV to the Pc, but still not sure how to plumb in the Hi8 camcorder into the MiniDV.

external hard drives via USB2,...then using an external enclosure to make the drive convert to a USB interface) ...I could I guess buy a 200Gb and have it USB into the pc, currently have 53Gb and 20Gb for video file and creation respectively so best swop theeir names to start with ! They are on a separate internal HD just for them which helps, so perhaps 53Gb videomake and 20Gb videofile, for writing to DVD. From memory Hi8 tapes were 90 mins long, and max prog betamax or VHs is going to be a movie of 2hrs 15mins, thats about 27Gb not inc the extra sound file, but perhaps still fitting onto the 53Gb, then does that extra sound file get fused in to the final avi file when writing to dvd and perhaps giving to someone else, for playback on dvd set into a Tv ?

I could record one tape and dvd it, wipe the drive then ditto the next etc. So fed up of piles of VHS cassettes and need get at the betamax and Hi8 as playback machines on borrowed time !

To do with the VCR recording, i highly do NOT recommend it if you are going to be putting it on a DVD afterwards, due to the VCR program will use a much lesser quality Video and Audio source than that of the dvd standard, and if you are only using premiere, you will more than likely get poor product results (I normally experience pixelation, slight discoloration, etc).

As its to free up storage and get stills off the recordings to study, its the only option I could think of, but as soon as monies allow, I shall replace the VCR with a hd/dvd writer hardware to sit under the pc, always felt vcr's were behind the times 1

One last thing, if your 5950 has Video In, then you NEED to install special drivers to have video-in/Video-out (ViVo) technology work correctly.
Is the 'video out' the transmission of the signal to premiere from the 5950 card, or to an external device ? I only plan to use premiere for capture.

but if you need to backup something that is "copyrighted" it will not work.
Would TV broadcasts copied onto vhs etc be seen and blocked by it, is there an encoded signal in current ones upsetting the apple cart, if not old ones ?

If I can get the Hauppauge WinTVgo card to tune into the TV cable signal then I could get better copies straight into AVI, ??? can premiere cope with that ?...on the fly so to speak ?

Anyways, i hope this helps you out.
Most grateful...thank you very much, very helpful. Not sure if you get chance to answer my reply but again thanks.

Have a good day.
...and you.
Merlin

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Apr 12, 2004 at 6:05:43 pm

Apparently, you have two tv tuners installed on your computer- one with the graphics card and the Hauppauge device. I do not know about now, but not so long ago you could expect conflicts between the software for the two devices which could keep one or both of them from functioning properly, at least for Mpeg video capture.

I just checked the spec's on the WinTVGo. If the RAW .avi is what I think it is, it has a data rate of 10 Megabytes/sec or more at a 640 x 480 resolution, which works out to 36GB/hr. Using a 7000RPM Ultra ATA drive, you should expect dropped frames and loss of audio-video sync.

Your best bet for quality DVD creation is to use your DV camcorder's "pass through" capability as explained in your DV camcorder manual.

The graphics card and Hauppauge tv tuners work the same way the tuner on a regular tv works. Connect the coaxial out on the vcr to the coaxial cable in on the tv tuner and the coaxial in on the vcr to your tv source. Then, with the vcr power off, open up your tv tuner software, choose the correct type of tv source, and scan the channels.

Return to posts index

Merlin
on Sep 4, 2004 at 1:43:49 pm

Kdavies,
Thanks for the reply, sorry didnt get back to this sooner, life etc ! Just about to try all this and now find betamax player fix cost astronomical so stuck again.
I tried the camcorder as analog to digital converter with success so thanks there.
Merlin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]