Desktop V's Laptop

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
a123a123a123
Desktop V's Laptop
on Apr 8, 2004 at 1:52:56 am

I'm looking at a new system and choosing between P4 3g desktop and
Centrino 1.7g Laptop.

How do the two compare for speed, both will have similar ram 1gb and hard drives 40gb x 2.

Return to posts index

Michael P
Re: Desktop V's Laptop
on Apr 8, 2004 at 4:37:45 am

Centrino is not an actual processor, it is a chipset/System setup that allows for integrated wireless internet, and extended battery life. Don't get me wrong. The Centrino Definately does NOT perform like a normal p4 1.7ghz system, they are said to have run in the area of the 2.4 ghz or 2.66 ghz desktop processors. The Centrino systems perform well for light laptops that have a long battery life, on the other hand, they don't have the high performance of a desktop system, as well as the expandability.

The true defining factor for this decision should be what you need out of your system. If you are going to be stationary and want the best bang for your buck, get a desktop. p4 processors (non Extreme Edition) have dropped extensively in the last few months, and you can get a cheap system that runs great now.

On the other hand, if you plan to do editing on the run, as well as at home, and you want a great computer that has good battery life, is ideal for portable workstations, and is Recommended by Avid, Adobe, and other various companies, look into the Portable Workstations With the Centrino chipset, and the Quadro FX go video cards (might i recommend the Dell Precision m60).

In the end, only you can decide what you need. I think that both systems should be good. The Desktop will be considerably Cheaper, and run quite a bit faster (depending on how it is configured), but it lacks the versatility. Just look at your priorities for this computer.

Good luck on your decision.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 8, 2004 at 4:58:06 am

The Pentium M that's part of the Centrino package does not have hyperthreading, while the newer P4's do. This effectively gives you a dual cpu system with software that supports it, like most of the Adobe packages.

There are some desktop replacement notebooks available that use the desktop HT P4. They have to be plugged in, as their battery life is poor, but they do compete with the desktop P4's.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 9, 2004 at 1:06:23 pm

We have seen numerous demonstrations of our software (Edition, Xpress Pro, Vegas4 & Premiere Pro) running great on Centrino Laptops.

While the performance does not equal that of a 3Ghz, hyperthreaded workstation, we were very impressed. If you need or want a mobil editing system, these are a very good choice.

You can also get a Laptop Worstation. These units offered by 1 Beyone, DV Line, PC Nirvana and Alienware are actual P4 motherboards ina portable configuration. Notice i did not say mobile. While these units have awesome power, they are quite heavy & bulky. And the run times are short.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

leeu
Desktop V's Laptop
by
on Aug 26, 2004 at 1:46:39 pm

OK, heres my delema, I have been editng for 20 years, and have migrated into my own video business after working with very high end systems. I do everything from several 1 hour long projects, to trainning videos, to commercials, all at one time. So i fight hardrive space all the time. exporting to DVD, VCD, and Beta SP

I do this on the side, and I would love to stay in the PC world, with canopus or matrox cards to give me the real time I so miss, when doing multiple layers of video. But I also have a huge need to be portable, but fear a laptop will fall very short of my needs.

If I move to a laptop, then I feel that a platform change is in order, moving to a powerbook and finalcut seems to make the most sense.

the other option is to get a laptop and use it for rough cut edting with preimier pro, then fine tune on the desktop system.

I would rather just have 1 editing computer, and am leaning to a powerbook with a huge firewire drive

any thoughts??????

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]