FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lots of help needed

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael P
Lots of help needed
on Mar 26, 2004 at 7:03:49 am

Hello all,

I'm a Newbie here, and just had (quite) a few questions for the more advanced users. First off, I am a High School Student, and i am wanting to delve into the World of Avid Video Editing. I have been using Adobe Premiere pro on my system (athlon 64 fx-51,Asus SK8N Nforce 3 pro 150 chipset,1gb Hyper-X pc3200 ddr ram, Geforce FX 5900 (128mb), Sound Blaster audigy 2 platinum) and had great results for my simple projects, but now i want to learn on Avid Systems. I am planning on getting some books/tutorial DVDs,etc. I was wondering if any people had any suggestions of books that start from scratch and get to a near professional level (as if someone without experience could pick it up, read it, and understand everything). I have seen a few different books on Amazon, but am not sure what type I should get.
Secondly, I have a somewhat powerful system right now (specs mentioned before), but i was debating on building a dual Xeon 3.06 ghz processor system. The Xeons i am looking at have 512kb cache, and i was wondering if this should be good for an editing system. My athlon 64 fx has 1mb of cache, and sometimes it even gets drogged down. I didnt know that if i changed to a dual Xeon 3ghz system with 2gb of ram and an ATI fire gl X2, if I would get that much of an improvement worth the 1500-2000 dollars. I was looking into just Upgrading Ram, but Due to EXTREME prices for amd64 ram, I might as well just pay to get a full new system dedicated to video editing/3d Modeling (i want to delve into that field as well).
Thirdly, I was wondering if Boris Red is an Easy to use Software package. I would like to add more "pizazz" to my films with more than just normal Transitions/Titling, and would like to check out boris. Is the program more GUI based, or is it Text based script modifying? I have done some research, and i cant find which it has more of...

Thank you for any and all help that is applied towards this post, I am an intermediate premiere pro user, but i am wanting to start from Scratch and study the Avid Xpress Pro System as if i knew nothing about Digital Video Editing or any video editing for that matter. If you can help out with a post, it would be most appreciated.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Lots of help needed
by
on Apr 11, 2004 at 12:06:01 am

Hello NfoRcErX,

Looks like you got yourself quite a system. Not sure what question you are hoping to have answered or what help you need... you seem to have done your homework and answer more threads than you start! If you already have Premiere and are comfortable using it, why do you want another program? For simpler editing?

If you don't already subsrcribe, I recommend getting digital videomaker magazine (http://www.videomaker.com) to help you with some of these and other burning questions that you didn't know you had, but may already be answered for you.

Hope your DVD work turns out great. Sounds like you have quite a production going...

Dylan
Nagoya, Japan

Return to posts index

Michael P
Re: Lots of help needed
on Apr 11, 2004 at 12:53:53 am

Thanks for the reply,

Currently I don't receieve any Video Editing Magazine. I will have to look into that publication.

This project really isn't that major, it is just that I want it to look the best it can, as it is going to be representing who I am to the public. I am currently in High School, and am trying to learn as much as I can about Video Editing/Compositing/3d Modeling before I possibly go off to study Film editing systems/Film School. I know alot about Computer hardware, and that is how I am able to answer all the questions. Smile At the time I wrote the first post, I had forced myself to believe I needed a Dual Xeon System, and was trying to get input on what I needed, as well as What books I should get for any programs relating to Avid Xpress Pro. Now I am actually looking into 3d modeling/animation and compositing as well, so I am looking into many books from many publishers, etc. Thanks again for the Response, And this post has been pretty much null and Voided since the time of writing. Thanks you very much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]