FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will this system do for editing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
p701
Will this system do for editing?
by
on Mar 15, 2004 at 12:46:13 pm

Hi, Nice site! See that this will be my homepage from now on...
Could anyone please give me some advise on if my system will be any use for editing. It's as follows:
AMD motherboard (Epox) with a Nvidia2 chipset
AMD 2.4Ghz Athlon? XP CPU
768mb DDR400 Ram
120GB & 40GB HDD (7200rpm & 2mb cache)
64mb Nvidia 440 AGP card
Pinnacle DC10 capture card.

I'm running XP Pro now but wonder if Windows 2003 isn't better?
As for the editing software, I'm using Pinnacle 9 and PowerDirector 3 at the moment.
Everything is fine at the momment (kinks almost sorted out)but now I want to start doing some weddings ect. Will the system do? What do I upgrade next? Rendering takes a fair time at the moment and I'll like to speed that up first. Any advise will be welcome.
Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Will this system do for editing?
on Mar 16, 2004 at 5:57:59 am

The nVidia chipset doesn't have the best bus bandwidth. It's not high on the recommended chipset list.

Configure your video drive on a separate IDE port from your boot drive, like master on your secondary port.

Windows 2003 is a server OS and not designed for video editing. It manages its multitasking to evenly allocate time to all current tasks. XP will assign the majority of its clock cycles to the top priority task, your video editing. Stick with XP Pro.

If you don't like rendering, then you'll have to upgrade to a realtime capture card, like the Matrox RT.X100, which will not work properly with your nVidia chipset motherboard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]