FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bulk DVD media recommendations needed!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eastmaj
Bulk DVD media recommendations needed!
on Feb 26, 2004 at 12:54:19 pm

To All:
I'm currently creating my first DVD of all the 8th grade football games this past year. My goal is to give each player a DVD copy and the expenses would come out of my own pocket. This is where I need your help. My question are:
1.) What media, -R, -RW, +R or +RW is the best choice to mass produce my video. Which format can be played in a majority of the DVD players?
2.) What are your recommendations as to where I should go and bulk purchase the DVD media? What should I stay away from? What brand should I avoid so that I do not make a bunch of coasters.
Thanks,
I really appreciate your responses.
Jeff
Smile

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Bulk DVD media recommendations needed!
on Feb 27, 2004 at 2:44:45 am

I just switched burners myself. Two years ago, I bought my first DVD burner, a Pioneer A03, which after some testing confirmed the test results at http://www.dv.com that cheap media was no bargain and ended up using Maxell 2x DVD-R media exclusively. The generic media available at the time was very poor quality.

I recently upgraded to a Plextor 708A, which can burn + or - media at speeds faster than their rating. For example, I can burn my Maxell 2x DVD-R at 2.4x and can burn 4x DVD+R media at 8x speeds, a full DVD in 8 minutes. I had read good things about Ritek media, as they're now an OEM provider for a lot of the name brand media, so I tried samples of that, along with other media. In fact, I ordered a complete sampler from Meritline and tried different brands. Basically, I found that the Ritek DVD+R media seemed to work in every player I tried. I actually had trouble with Maxell 4x DVD+R media, so I've standardized on Ritek.

Ritek media has a couple of advantages, as I now use a Casio CD/DVD printer to print labeling directly on my media. The Casio printer works best with blank shiny media, so the Ritek media works perfectly with it.

Test results have shown that DVD-R is the most compatible media, followed closely by DVD+R. RW media is not as compatible as R media. I used to prototype my video projects on DVD-RW media, but now just play the DVD project on my computer's DVD player software to test the formatting and navigation.

DVD+RW does have some advantage with some DVR's, which record this media in VR format, allowing limited editing of the DVD on your PC.

For now, I'm standardizing on Ritek 4x DVD+R media, burned at 8x speed in my Plextor.

Return to posts index

eastmaj
on Feb 27, 2004 at 12:41:55 pm

John Q,
Thank you very much for that detailed response. I'll be checking the web for good prices for the Ritek 4x DVD+R media.
I'm also having a great time developing my DVD videos. The football players will really enjoy them.

Thanks again.
JeffSmile

Return to posts index

yangster
on Mar 10, 2004 at 2:55:42 pm

Hi,

The Ritek is excellent, I have been selling it here in the UK for the last two years and we have only a handfull of complaints and they are normally from Numptys who just cant get things right! The other brands I would recommend you try are Intenso, Maxell and Verbatim.

Ritek make for these people if you need their media.. Arita, Ridata, Traxdata, CloneDisc, Datasafe etc.. what you can do is download a dvd identifcation tool off the web and then look for the GO4 code on the start of the media which will tell you it is made by Ritek.

Simon
DVD and Media.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]