FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Card Definition? USB2 and Firewire?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne_Brad
Capture Card Definition? USB2 and Firewire?
on Jan 6, 2004 at 4:00:45 am

I'm just starting out and have a number of questions:

What's the difference between a video capture card and any card with a firewire port? Will video editing software (e.g., Pinnacle Studio 8) work with any firewire card / video capture card? Does anyone sell OHCI video capture cards with firewire and USB2.0? I'd like to use firewire for capturing video but add USB2.0 for operating other devices. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Capture Card Definition? USB2 and Firewire?
on Jan 6, 2004 at 2:02:47 pm

Think of "capture" from DV camcorders as importing the already digitized video and conversion of it to a computer format (for example, DV .avi on a PC). The video goes from the DV camcorder's firewire port to a firewire port on the computer or a breakout box that is itself connected to the computer. Any OHCI-compliant firewire port should work with just about any video editing program, although I would not be completely surprised if there were problems with the firewire ports on some AGP video cards or audio cards.

For other devices (such as analog-DV converters, TV tuners, webcams, & Mpeg encoders), analog video is "captured" (digitized) in a particular format. You can get AGP cards, PCI cards, firewire, USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 capture devices.

There are a number of brands of firewire-USB 2.0 combo cards on the market, including some made by Adaptec, Orange Micro & SIIG. CompUSA and Circuit City are two stores that usually carry them. Try searching the web for "firewire-USB 2.0 combination cards".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]