FORUMS: list search recent posts

dropped frames

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mmsharris
dropped frames
on Jan 4, 2004 at 6:19:08 pm

this is my first attempt to edit video from my dv camcorder on my computer and i am having a problem with dropped frames. i dropped 135 frames for 20 seconds of capture, which is making playback very choppy. i dont know if its my hardware or software and i thought someone here could shed some light on the subject. i have:
mgi videowave se (came with the firewire card)
win 98se
adaptec fireconnect 4300 firewire card
pIII 1ghz proccessor
384meg ram
wd 7200rpm 40gig hd
jvc gr-d70 dv camcorder

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: dropped frames
on Jan 4, 2004 at 7:45:26 pm

You need a dedicated A/V capture drive on your secondary IDE channel. You're dropping frames because Windows always has priority and will interrupt your capture to do memory management. If you capture your video on a hard drive on its own IDE port, Windows talking to the boot drive will not interrupt the transfer to the other drive.

Return to posts index

mmsharris
on Jan 4, 2004 at 7:54:29 pm

so your telling me i need a second harddrive set up as a slave??

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 5, 2004 at 2:58:46 am

No, you need a second 7200 rpm hard drive set up as master on your other IDE channel, not the same IDE channel as your boot drive. Make sure you're using an 80-wire ATA cable.

Only one device on an IDE channel can communicate at a time. If your A/V drive is on your primary IDE channel, Windows will still interrupt it, when it talks to the boot/swap drive.

Return to posts index

mmsharris
on Jan 6, 2004 at 1:36:45 am

i only have two IDE plugs on my motherboard. i thought one was for harddrives and one was for cd-roms? i really appreciate your help. i'm sorry that i dont get it. so would i set my boot drive as a master with my cd burner as a slave on one plug and my av drive on the other plug also set as master??

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 6, 2004 at 5:30:58 am

That should work. Yes, your motherboard has two IDE ports, a primary and secondary, and each can support two devices, a master and a slave. Getting the A/V drive onto the secondary port, away from the boot drive, eliminates interference between Windows accessing the boot drive and the video streaming to the A/V drive.

Return to posts index

mmsharris
on Jan 7, 2004 at 2:35:48 am

thank you very much for the help. i'll pick up another hd this weekend.

Return to posts index

Fozj
by
on Feb 15, 2004 at 4:11:16 am

John Q, I've read several of your post replys on HDD arrangement. I have both HDDs on primary IDE. The Windows XP and all video programs on master HDD, and partition E of slave is for captured video and Partition F of slave is for storage. When I first set this arrangement up last NOV. I captured without dropping frames, but now I drop around 500 in 30 minutes of capture. I have a Promise HDD controller card that came with my 200GB HDD. If I were to install this card and drivers for it, what do I need to do to connect this slave HDD to this card? For example, just run a 80 conductor IDE cable to it, or what? Also will I retain information I have stored on this HDD? I have recently installed Intels Application Acceleration IDE drivers for my 850E chipset, but this did not help, actually they may have slowed transfers from HDD to HDD down. Thanks for any advice you will give. Fozj

Fozj the newbie

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 15, 2004 at 8:26:01 am

Yes, the Intel Accelerator seems to mess up video editing systems, so I'd remove this driver.

You don't want to partition your A/V drive, as partitioning slows down the disc I/O rate. You'll also want to clean the drive up periodically and defrag it.

You should be able to plug the A/V drive into the Promise card, but be aware that the Promise card tends to hog the PCI bus, which causes problems with some real time capture cards. Existing drive configuration should be maintained, but you don't want to maintain a partitioned drive for your video files.

The IDE ports on the motherboard bypass the PCI bus interface, so they can function at full speed without interfering with a PCI bus capture card.

Return to posts index

Fozj
by
on Feb 15, 2004 at 5:22:09 pm

John Q, I am new to computer, but trying to learn. Question, to remove the Intel Application Accelerator, do I go to add/remove programs and remove it, or go to Device manager and roll back driver, or what? 2nd question, the HDD that I capture on is a 200GB WD, and that is why I divided it into 2 equal partitions. I do not know how to undo this, without losing all video I have stored on it. Thanks Fozj

Fozj the newbie

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 15, 2004 at 9:52:41 pm

Hopefully, the Intel Accelerator is listed in the Add/Remove Programs list, so you can remove it from there. I honestly don't know, as I'm using an AMD dual Athlon motherboard. I just know what I've read about problems with the Accelerator.

I'd try the partitioned drive first on another IDE port. It may work partitioned. In fact, if your bios don't support drives larger than 137 GB, you may not have a choice. If your bios do support larger drives, then Partition Magic can remove the partitioning without losing any files. Computers and hard drives are fast enough now that it may not be a problem.

Return to posts index

Fozj
by
on Feb 16, 2004 at 12:09:32 am

John Q, Thanks for your honest opinion, I'm not sure exactly what to try, but there is a lot of conflicting infomation out there. I do know that when HDD was first installed, I captured and rarely dropped a frame. It could be something like my page file being defragmented, If I understand right the Windows XP defrag tool will not defrag a page file. Thanks Again Fozj

Fozj the newbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]