FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog Video Capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimby452
Analog Video Capture
on Jan 2, 2004 at 5:50:07 pm

I have about 40 hrs of old VCR tapes that I would like to convert to DVD.Most of the tapes are between 15 and 20 years old and are starting to degrade. I would like to first just do a straight copy of the tapes to get then on the DVD's and then at a later date go back and edit from the DVD's.I am a novice to video capture and DVD burning, so I am looking for some advice. From what I have read on the subject I have to copy the video to my hard drive ( 2 hour tape would take 2 hour to copy to the hard drive, compress it to mpg2( 2hour file would take apporx 6 hrs to compress with a 2.8MHZ PC and then burn it to a DVD(2 hour MPG2 file on 4X burner would take 30 mins. I am not sure how much hard disk space a 2 hr file would take up.What would be a good capture card? Is there a card that will speed up the compression, and what would be a good software package that would handle the whole process from capture to burn?.
Or should I go with a Stand alone DVD recorder? Phillips, Sony, Panasonic? If I did use a Standalone Recorder could I copy and edit the DVD's on my PC and burn then to another DVD?

Thanks
Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]