FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question About Hard Drive Setup???

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mistaong_1
Question About Hard Drive Setup???
on Nov 29, 2003 at 11:02:07 pm

I am not new to video edting but my question I think will help lots of people getting into video editing. First off I will give my specs.

My computer specs: XP HOME, DEll 4550, pentium 4 at 2ghz, 256 megs of ram, 30gig for programs and a maxtor 150gig@7200 rpm for video, Pyro ADS firewire card,Premier6, and a Sony dcr-trv110 ntsc.

I Just put the 150gig drive into my computer and it seems to be doing just fine except for in one area, when I capture video to my 150gig (f:) in Premier, I drop lots of frames. About 10 frames every 100. When I captured to my 30gig (C:) I get none. They are almost identicle except for size and brand, so I am wondering (this may sound stupid) does the letter assigned to the drive matter?

Return to posts index

Goodspeed
Re: Question About Hard Drive Setup???
on Nov 30, 2003 at 7:16:29 am

Is your Maxtor on IDE 0 as a "slave" ? If it is you'll probably drop frames.

You should put your Maxtor on IDE 1 as the "master" drive.

Another thing you may want to verify ! Make sure your hard drive cable is an ATA100 and not an ATA66. (I have friends who have Dell computers and have had Dell install ATA66 cables).

Return to posts index

maddrummer3301
Re: Question About Hard Drive Setup???
on Dec 7, 2003 at 10:34:26 pm

If you installed a 150 gig drive under XP you had to install a
controller card to access all the drive. Otherwise XP will limit
you to only 120gigs+ (137 gigs).

If you intend on using large drives Promise makes a PCI controller card called the Ultra100 TX2. Using this card and installing the
drivers you can access the full potential of the drive and achieve full speed. This card will operate on all windows operating systems and Linux operating systems.
All drives that are ATA66 and higher require aan 80 ribbon 40 pin cable to operate at the higher speeds.

MD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]