FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Raptor

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CS007010
DV Raptor
on Nov 3, 2003 at 2:37:42 am

I'm currently using an AverMedia DVD EZMaker composite/S-Video video PCI capture card to capture composite video and compress it to high quality MPEG 2 format (I use NeoDVD 4.1 to compress the video as it's captured, and I author the DVD with Ulead DVD Workshop). In some instances, the finished video looks fine. However, in some footage (especially where there is fast motion or lots of color), I notice small, blocky areas of pixelation that look like compression artifacts and the video quality is rather poor (when I play back the video on my camcorder through the TV, the video looks fine so I suspect a compression problem). I've tried using other third party software, such as IUVCR and Virtual Dub, to capture video in .AVI format and compress it to MPEG 2 with other utilites, but I haven't been successful.

I'm looking for some quality hardware to capture analog and DV video. I'd like to go professional grade, but I'm on a rather tight budget. I've heard good things about Canopus, and I'm willing to invest up to $500 dollars to get a quality, reliable product. Lately, I've seen a reasonable deal for the Canopus DV Raptor PCI card, but I've also been looking at Canopus ACE DVio and Canopus MPEG Pro MVR.

Which of these should I choose? Do you suggest a manufacturer other than Canopus?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and help end months of frustration with this AverMedia Card. My system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2500 (1.833 Ghz)
2 sticks of 256 MB DDR PC 2700 RAM(Dual Channel)
MSI K7NL2 board with nForce 2 chipset
Geforce 4 MX 440 SE Video Card 128 MB DDR
Maxtor 20 GB ATA 133 7200 RPM hard drive (for OS)
WD 8MB Cache 7200 RPM ATA 100 160 GB hard drive (for video editing)
Pacific Digital 12x DVD ROM
Sony DW-U10A DVD +- R/RW drive

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]