FORUMS: list search recent posts

New PC Setup and Pinnacle DV Question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rwv_99
New PC Setup and Pinnacle DV Question
on Nov 2, 2003 at 6:41:59 pm

I have a brand new Dell Dimension 4600, 800mhz fsbus, 1 gig of ram, 2.8g Pentium 4, 80 gig hard drive, ATI 64meg video card.

1st question: I want to add a 120gig western digital drive (the one with the 8meg cache) to the second drive bay, and connect it to the IDE 2 connection. Right now, the 80 gig drive is on IDE 1, and the dvd rom and cd burner are both on IDE 2. From what I've read I will get better performance by putting the 120 gig wd drive on IDE 2, with the 80 gig drive (with the s/w on it) on IDE 1. My problem is the cables are too short. Any guidance on what type/brand of cables to get so that I can split the drives and still connect the optical drives. I assume I want to end up with 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive on IDE 1, and the other hard drive and optical drive on IDE 2. Longer ribbon cables should solve my problems, I just want to be sure I get the right ones.

Next question: I have a bunch of vhs tapes, a lot of hi-8 tapes, and some micro mv tapes (I recently got a Sony IP 5 MicroMV camcorder). I want to be able to get all of theses video sources onto my PC for editing. The movie shaker software that came with the IP 5 doesn't work, however I heard that Pinnacle's Studio 8 supports the IP5. Based on what I've read on your site, it looks like the package I want is the combo of the Cendyne external burner (although I heard they recently went out of business), and one of the Pinnacle Studio Movie Box packages. I'm not sure which one is best for my needs. I have both USB 2 and a Firewire Port on my new PC. Since my sources will be both digital (from the IP5) and analog (vhs and hi-8 sources), does it matter which of the movie box packages I buy (they both do analog and I guess I'd go directly to the firewire port from my IP5).

Return to posts index

fireman bob
Re: New PC Setup and Pinnacle DV Question
on Nov 8, 2003 at 7:39:41 pm

Go for the firewire based movie box. If you ever upgrade to Pinnacle Liquid Edition, it is supposed to support the analog capture from it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]