FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations on motherboards

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sgtpepper
Recommendations on motherboards
on Oct 19, 2003 at 3:15:26 pm

I recently decided to get back into video. I used to edit with analog and things sure have come along way since those days. I like to build my own computer systems.

So, I decided to build a dedicated video computer. I bought a barebones system. The motherboard is a Biostar M7VKQ SOCKET A. Complete specs are available here:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7vkq

I bought a Pinnacle 500DVD from Videoguys. They were very helpful. I also bought a NVIDIA GeForce4 video card.

Installing all the softare went family smooth and Premiere acted great. Very fast even with rendering times. Capturing video was great....however...

The computer is VERY unstable. For no apparent reason the machine will do to blackscreen and reboot....in the middle of doing something. I noticed it mostly while creating graphics with Photoshop. Also, a few times while editing. (When this happened and I lost 1/2 hours worth of editing work....I almost through the machine out the window). I upgraded all the software for the NVIDIA and the Pinnacle. It is running on a clean install of XP and that is updated as well.

After many attempts to prevent this from happening....I simply am fed up. I took the Pinnacle and NVIDIA card out of the machine and everything is very stable...of course now I cant edit! I am just going to forget about this motherboard/card combo. Somthing abvisously is conflicting.

So, my question is....

Using the Pinnacle and NVIDIA cards stated above....do you have any recommendations for a compatibe and stable motherboard for them? Do you think upgrading the power supply would help? I heard that sometimes the power supply cant support the two cards together...

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Recommendations on motherboards
on Oct 20, 2003 at 2:04:10 am

First, the warnings on the Athlon. You need a really, good power supply and a really good cooling fan on the cpu. An extra cooling fan or a power supply with an additional cooling fan is also a good idea. Athlon's get very unstable when they get hot, or when they can't draw enough power.

There are several other basics you have to satisfy for editing DV. You need a dedicated 7200 rpm ATA hard drive on your secondary IDE channel for your A/V files. If you're trying to use a RAID card, try connecting your A/V drive as IDE2 MASTER. You also need to shut down any unneeded drivers and services, like antivirus, messenger, etc.

And then it may not work well, because VIA chipsets don't handle the PCI bus bandwidth well. They don't work at all with the RT.X100. Go to VIA's website for the latest All-In-One driver set.

Return to posts index

HUFFDADDY
Re: Recommendations on motherboards
on Oct 21, 2003 at 2:50:53 am

STAY WITH P4 W/533 OR 800 FSB . I ALLWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK
WITH ASUS PRODUCTS. JUST AVOID VIA CHIP SETS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]