FORUMS: list search recent posts

RexTest HD Speed only 25 and 17 MB/S

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dstrege8
RexTest HD Speed only 25 and 17 MB/S
on Sep 26, 2003 at 12:45:50 pm

I sure could use some direction. I was reading the Win2000 Tweaks document from this site and ran across the RexTest application for testing transfer rates for my hard drives. The results were extremely disappointing and I really need some help from the masters.

My system: P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, OS is Win2K with SP4. Two hard drives (partitioned to 4 sections: C:, D:, E:, F:). They are all ATA100, and range from 9GB (2)... is an 18GB drives with 2 partitions. And about 30GB and 90GB... is a 120GB ATA100 drive.

I downloaded and ran RexTest last night and it came back with the follow read/write results: C: 45/40 D: 33/35 E: 25/25 F: 17/17!
I do digital video and audio recording and DVD burning... Premiere 6.5, TMPGEnc, Sonar 2

Can anyone tell me what to do next. I've gone through the Tweaks doc and make those corrections with no improvement on drive speed. I'm also wondering, I've downloaded that Mode 5 patch from Microsoft for ATA100 support, but also noticed that it talked about SP2. Does SP4 have that included now, or do I need to run that? I also did the Registry edits to at least up-to ATA66. And still the above results.

How can Premiere even be working at those slow speeds.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: RexTest HD Speed only 25 and 17 MB/S
on Sep 26, 2003 at 1:59:06 pm

The most critical disk I/O is during video capture and export, where an interruption would result in dropped frames. A single stream of DV requires only 3.6 MB/sec of sustained throughput, so any 7200 rpm ATA66+ hard drive with DMA can easily support DV editing.

Partitioning slows down hard drive throughput. A/V drives should be unpartitioned.

Return to posts index

dstrege8
on Sep 26, 2003 at 3:12:05 pm

Thanks John Q for the info.

Any idea(s) on how I could verify whether or not my PC drives were working on ATA 100? Isn't the 17 MB/S still awfully slow, even though it would work?

From what I understand from your reply, I should take the second HD (E: and F:) and Fdisk to remove partition and just make one drive for video and audio.

I would like to use NTFS for format, but recently also read that NTFS was extremely slower due to various security procedures. I sure could use the over-4Gig capabilities. Any opinions on Fat32 or NTFS?

David

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 27, 2003 at 3:12:40 am

You want a single-partition NTFS drive. FAT32 has a filesize limit. NTFS does not, so you'll be able to build whatever size project you want. NTFS is faster than FAT32 with a spanning utility to transparently create 2 GB file segments that appear to be a single file to the editing program.

If you bring up device manager and view the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, you'll see the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels. Open their properties window and select the Advanced tab. There you'll see how each IDE port has been automatically configured. As long as you see a DMA transfer mode shown, you're fine. If the port is set to PIO mode, you have a problem, probably hardware, like a faulty cable.

17 MB/sec is slow. The typical minimum sustained read/write rate to the disc, which is the spec that matters for video capture, is about 27 MB/sec for most 7200 rpm IDE drives. If your 17 MB/sec drive is actually a partition on the inner tracks of the hard drive, then that's the normal overhead penalty for partitioning an NTFS drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]