FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to editing and it is driving me crazy!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jo_D
New to editing and it is driving me crazy!
by
on Sep 3, 2003 at 5:43:45 pm

OK. So I buy this ADS Instant USB device to take in my 8mm home videos. Worked great. Got it in MPEG-2 format, 1.5 hrs of video and it took 1.2 Gigs. I used Ulead Video Studio 7 to make some minor changes (added some text and transitions). When I click make DISK and then it starts to render the file. 10 hours later it finsihes and now the MPEG file is 6.4 Gigs. My questions are:
1)Why did the file increase in size so much?
2)Why did it take so long?

I am sure I am missing something. Would I be better off with another sortware package? Is my system too slow?
MY SYSTEM SPECS:
1.0 Ghz PIII
1 GB of SDRAM
1x 20 GB Harddisk (OS)
1x 100 GB Hardisk

Any advice or "how-to" documents are very much welcomed.

Jo-D

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: New to editing and it is driving me crazy!
on Sep 4, 2003 at 12:49:52 am

Your system is adequate. If "Smart Render" is triggered, it should take about an hour to produce an hour of finished mpeg 2 with your system.
Try this-
1. In the "Share" step select "Create Video File/Same As Project Settings". This will trigger "Smart Render", re-encoding only the parts of the video that have been changed. On your system, it may take about 1.5 to 2 hours to finish creating a new file.

2. Close and then re-open VS7 and import the newly created file.

3. Go directly to the share step and choose "Create Disk". After naming your project, the DVD wizard will open.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: New to editing and it is driving me crazy!
on Sep 4, 2003 at 2:45:22 am

I haven't used the VS7 wizard for a while, so I had to go check on how you output to disk. I believe the following is correct-

If you do not match the project settings and video file settings exactly (with one exception), the VS7 DVD wizart will re-encode the file during the "Output" step. The exception is by unchecking the "Do not convert compliant Mpeg files" box in the project properties menu and selecting LPCM audio in the project properties menu, the audio will convert the audio from Mpeg audio to LPCM, greatly increasing the chances of your DVD playing in a set top dvd player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]