FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help a brother out? (Need Guidance)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole
Help a brother out? (Need Guidance)
by
on Sep 1, 2003 at 4:01:38 am

Complete newbie to video editing trying to make sure I have the right hardware. Can you guide me?

Here's what I have . . .

Dell 4400 running XP (40 gig hard-drive, 30 free) no FireWire card
Canon GL-2
Adobe Premiere Pro

What hardware should I add?

1. Do I just need a FireWire card? (Recommendations?)
2. Am I cool with the hard-drive that has my OS running?
3. Should I buy an external or second internal hard drive? (Recommendations?)

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Help a brother out? (Need Guidance)
on Sep 1, 2003 at 4:09:56 pm

Hi there
You should get a secondary hard drive specifially for audio/video files. I like the Western Digital hard drives with the 8mb cache. I have a 120gig ,but the size is up to you, I'd recommend a 60gig at the very minimal. These drives range in size from 20-250gig (maybe more now). You should make it an internal drive (faster then external), but I find that making it a removable drive is very helpful for transporting large projects and comes in very handy. You should set it to IDE 2 as master so windows won't interfere with it. I have the Matrox RTX100 editing card and absolutely love it, but it depends what you are doing, this card might not be necessary. I have Adobe Premiere 6.5 on a different machine and it plays the video and effects fairly smoothly in realtime(its a top of the line custom machine), but with my slightly slower machine using the RTX100 it plays the video with transitions flawlessly. The new Premiere Pro might play just as smooth, not sure haven't purchased it yet (very soon). If it does play all your video smooth then I would recommend just getting a firewire card. A great cheap card that is very reliable and easy to set up is the Pyro firewire card. I have used 3 different cards in variuos setups and they all have setup easily and worked great. You can probably get the card for around $79 Canadian. If you want the realtime export to DVD as well as realtime chromakey and colour correction and numerous other features, then the Matrox RTX100 is a fantastic card! Anyways hope this helps.
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

Cole
by
on Sep 1, 2003 at 5:25:17 pm

Brent,

Thank you for your help. I've read your posts to other questions and hoped that I might hear from you.

Return to posts index

Cole
by
on Sep 1, 2003 at 5:42:29 pm

One other question. I guess I should be picking up a 7200 rpm hard-drive as my secondary?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Sep 2, 2003 at 4:11:13 pm

yes, a second 7200 rpm hard drive is definitely recommended for video editing.

- Jon

Return to posts index

Cole
by
on Sep 2, 2003 at 9:36:06 pm

Beautiful. With Brent and John's assistance, I obtained the following . . .

1. ADS Pyro FireWire Card
2. Western Digital Caviar Edition 80Gig (8Meg cache) internal hard-drive.
3. Another 512k of RAM

I'm hoping I'm ready to do some serious damage now. My camera and all of this lovely gear should arrive around the end of this week.

Thanks again to all for advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]