FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC camera and 1394 problems

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris1000
JVC camera and 1394 problems
on Nov 12, 2003 at 7:49:27 am

I have a new jvc dv3000 camera and winxp does not see it. A while ago I had tried other cameras on the firewire and no problem. Now nthing is seen as dv camera or digital imaging device. Reloaded winxp, and service packs ... ohci device seen but no camera.
JVC claims its an unsupported feature(DV) and needs a third party app.
Would a product like Matrox rt series solve the problem as a third party app or driver ? Or if the camera is not being seen that won't help .

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: JVC camera and 1394 problems
on Nov 12, 2003 at 2:43:42 pm

What does your user manual say about a JVC program called "JLIP Video Capture"? I wonder if that is JVC's work around for their drivers not being compatible with XP.

Return to posts index

Chris1000
on Nov 12, 2003 at 4:22:49 pm

The new program they ship with their camera is Pixella for usb and firewire transfer. Which I can not get to see the camera, like winxp also. Their support in the firewire dept is really lacking.
You can't even get them to give you any hardware compatable lists.
All they say is contact a third party app. like , pinnacle,matrox,or belkin... But no referals any further like a belkin cable or a dv card from them.
The strange thing though with my motherboard is I did test a few older jvc cams on it about a 6 months ago and winxp saw them.
Now nothing. Bought my first own DV cam and now nothing. Tried
to put everything back how it was when I did try those cams and no go.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 13, 2003 at 5:09:44 am

You need to contact JVC support and have them tell you clearly whether the DV3000 is compatible with XP and OHCI-compliant fire wire cards or not. It is up to JVC (not Microsoft, video editing companies, or fire wire card manufacturers) to write drivers that work with XP, and the purpose of OCHI-compliant fire wire cards is to create a standard so that drivers for DV camcorders can be standardized. The fact that JVC does not say the DV3000 works with XP or OHCI-compliant cards is not a good sign. Personally, I don't think I would do business with a company that asks me to buy a $1300 DV camcorder without any assurance that it will work with standard equipment.

It is always possible that your fire wire card is defective or that you have a bad fire wire cable. Perhaps you should take the camcorder back to the store where you bought it and have them test it on an XP machine. If the DV3000 doesn't work on their machine, exchange it for one that does. If it does, there is a problem with your computer or fire wire card.

Return to posts index

Chris1000
on Nov 13, 2003 at 8:34:21 am

I have a buddy who has a sony laptop with firewire on it
and has a few cameras that work on it. I will get to try my
camera out on it next week.
If I get no results it's hello JVC warrenty dept. The camcorder
really takes nice pictures, and it is new, but I don't want to
make a beef yet until i know its not my hardware or a motherboard
thing.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 13, 2003 at 1:03:29 pm

Good Luck.

Return to posts index

maddrummer3301
on Dec 7, 2003 at 10:19:45 pm

Did you ever solve this problem with the JVC3000 Camera?

I noticed on both my JVC's that I have to have the power supply
connected for the Firewire to operate. The firewire will not
operate by using just the battery.

MD

MD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]