FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best cluster size for capture?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Brown
What is the best cluster size for capture?
on Jul 27, 2003 at 4:19:14 am

I got a Sea Gate 30GB drive that I have installed as a capture drive. I get better results capturing to the system disk. I have reformated in win XP a couple of times. I have the option to set the allocation unit size. What should this be set at? Default is 4kb and I can go all the way up to 64kb.

Also how important is it to set up the second drive on IDE 2. I have a dvd player and a burner on both heads of that cable. Should I make the 2nd HD primary and the DVD player slave for IDE 2 and set the system disk primary and the DVD burner as slave on IDE 1 or is the performance increase not worth all that hassle?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: What is the best cluster size for capture?
on Jul 27, 2003 at 4:36:16 am

I'm using the default settings, but my A/V drive is IDE2 master. Windows will periodically take control of your system drive, causing you to drop frames, if you're trying to use it for your video. An IDE channel can only talk to one drive at a time, so you'll drop frames whenever Windows jumps in, if your A/V is IDE1 slave. You have to put your A/V drive on another IDE channel, with the primary recommendation being IDE2 master.

Return to posts index

Pat Brown
on Jul 27, 2003 at 6:42:00 am

Allright thanks for the reply. Would havings slower ide devices like the DVD drives as slaves impact the performance of the hard drives on there respective cables? I have always thought it was standard procedure to keep your hard drives on one port and your opticals on another. Maybe this is just for gaming applications. Never the less I will give this a shot when I get off work tonight. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 28, 2003 at 2:57:27 am

I'm not sure if it's smarter hardware or smarter operating systems, but my Windows XP Pro system with its dual Athlons is quite happy with my A/V drive as IDE2 master and my A03 as IDE2 slave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]