FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does original DV record speed make a difference??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brucekuhn
Does original DV record speed make a difference??
on Jul 22, 2003 at 7:55:05 pm

I know these threads deal more with editing software, and not cameras, but I am hoping some expert here can answer this question.

Every year I hire a professional videographer to tape a show for me using a DV camera (like a VX-2000). Then I edit it using my DV500 and Premiere, output to S-VHS, and then have it mass copied. The guy who did it for me this year recorded in LP mode instead of SP mode on his Sony VX-2000. This gave him 90 minutes of tape instead of 60. To me, the picture quality is the worst I have gotten to date. I was upset with him for recording in LP mode. He said that the recording speed on DV tapes does not make a difference in quality like it does on VHS. I find that hard to believe, and think that something must be different like sampling rates. I have searched for what the camera does different in the 2 modes, but can find nothing.

Does anyone out there know what a video camera does different when recording in LP mode verses SP mode?? Will it affect picture quality when capturing, or when I transfer the DV footage to my DV500??

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: Does original DV record speed make a differenc
on Jul 23, 2003 at 2:12:46 am

The LP recording speed uses exactly the same encoding as SP and when PLAYED BACK ON THE SAME MECHANISM THAT RECORDED IT will be no different to SP. I record theatre shows and always use LP to cover the time of each half of the show. THe slower speed increases the risk of dropouts and if this happens will make the error correction work harder to mask the defects. Use same tape stock and keep the mechanism clean. When played back on the same machine with good tape stock I see no difference in quality. Because of the smaller track spacing with LP the tape may not play well in other machines. For instance the LP tapes from my Sony PC10 will play in my Sony DHR1000 deck just fine but the LP tapes from a SOny TRV17 will not play well at all. Defects may be shaky image, lack of image sharpness even loss of image at times. I suggest you capture the tapes from the VX2000 that recorded them and you will likely get a nice image just like SP.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

brucekuhn
on Jul 23, 2003 at 12:38:56 pm

Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I had read that you will get "better" quality when playing back from the same machine, but never got a explaination why. I thought that it may have to do with the speed. But, I don't understand if that only makes a difference when playing the LP tape out of the video jacks (S-Video, or composite) of the camera (so you are taking this signal through the CODEC on the camera), or if it also affects the signal when pulled from the 1394 port. I would think that playing back on the same equipment would only affect the quality whan "playing back" from the camera directly to TV, or monitor, or capture card. If the encoding (same data rate, etc) is the same in both modes, then I should not see a loss in quality when I pull that data from the 1394 firewire port. Getting the video that way is just pulling the digital data off of the tape. Right??

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
on Aug 18, 2003 at 3:16:14 am

Sorry I have been away for a while and didn't read this post again till now. It is my understanding that error correction is used in reading the data off the tape whether it goes out the 1394 port or to the internal codec for output to the analogue ports. The quality loss, if any, will come from this error correction and will be the same whatever the output. This in my mind is insignificant I have yet to see any difference. The biggest problem is the restriction to playback from the same deck that recorded in LP. You will need to archive at SP since you cannot ensure that you will always have the same equipment and could lose the ability to play originals. This is far more important than the issue of quality. Since I always back up to an SP tape this is of no importance.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

rsaenz
on Aug 29, 2003 at 6:12:02 pm

So, you mentioned archiving . . .

I am very much an amateur and have recorded my son's birth using our sony dcr-trv27. I want to be able to keep the video forever and have the highest quality/flexibility for years and years down the line. What do I have to do? Keep the tapes or can I burn archived footage to a DVD (in addition to the "highlights" type home video that I will produce). I'm talking just for archiving . . .

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]