FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire or USB2?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan C
Firewire or USB2?
on Jul 13, 2003 at 5:58:22 pm

I have heard conflicting reports as to which will capture analog video better, firewire or USB2. I have a new Dell PC with USB2 and no firewire. Will a USB2 capture card capture as well as firewire? Or does it depend on what it is capturing to? (DV, MPEG2). And if so, which one is better in the under $300 market? Thanks.

Return to posts index

jamez_H
Re: Firewire or USB2?
on Jul 14, 2003 at 3:18:30 pm

I don't know the details but I believe that USB 2 uses quite a bit of resources to just work. This means it probably is not as quick as believed (also I think there is a "certified" USB 2 and uncertified). Not sure how this compares to the FireWire 400 mbps.

The next version of FireWire, IEEE 1394b, is starting to come out. Suppose to be 800 mbps. Orange has a card like this: http://www.consumerdvreviews.com/news/0603/06102003_02.asp

Short answer: since you already have the USB port, I would get a firewire device especially since some products now come with both connectors.

James

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Firewire or USB2?
on Jul 15, 2003 at 3:10:51 am

There are some USB 2 hardware mpeg encoders on the market, but no USB 2 analog-to-DV AVI converters that I know of. On the other hand, there are a number of fire wire analog-to-DV AVI converters on the market.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]