FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive Recommendations

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
STLSailor
Hard Drive Recommendations
on Jun 26, 2003 at 4:44:10 am

I have a Dell 8250 and have just bought a Matrox RTX.10 but have not yet installed it because I need a video hard drive. I am thinking of an external hard drive like the Maxtor 7200 RPM 120G, 160G or 200G.

Any problems with an external hard drive for video? What size is recommended?

Thanks.

STL_sailor

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Hard Drive Recommendations
on Jun 26, 2003 at 5:37:18 am

With a Matrox RT.X10, you will have problems with an external drive, whether it's USB or Firewire, for video capture. Install an internal drive on IDE2, as Matrox recommends. You can use an external for other storage, just not for DV capture with the X10.

Depending on the bios of your 8250, you may have problems with internal hard drives larger than 137 GB. I'd recommend 120, unless you can confirm that your motherboard bios can support larger drives.

I also recommend you search the Matrox X10 forum, as the Dell 8250 is not listed as a validated computer, and many owners have had problems getting theirs to work with an 8250.

Return to posts index

STLSailor
Re: Hard Drive Recommendations
on Jun 27, 2003 at 12:08:54 am

I gather then that the problem exists whether I am using the firewire port on the RT.X10 or a separate firewire or USB port. So it sounds like I'll go with an internal drive.

I'll check the BIOS. Thanks.

Looking at the forum has got me a bit nervous, but, since I have the card, I suppose I might as well give it a try. I couldn't seem to find any other inexpensive card that people seemed to have good things to say about the performance. Do you have any recommendations on other cards if I can't get the Matrox to work?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]