FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Started

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bspitnews
Getting Started
on Jun 20, 2003 at 6:21:15 pm

Hello, I'm a newbie to this form and looking for information.

I'll be building a high end dual xeon system with scsi drives sometime early next year or late this year.

My interest are starting a new LOB to supplement and expand on existing customer request. My end products will be video files (MPEG and MOV), SVCD and DVD with Motion Menu.

I plan to capture from both analog and DV. Effects are not an immediate priority, however future upgrade path using seperate package is beneficial. Need color correction in the NLE as well as correction for camera shake.

I've looked at the Avid DV xpress, but have been put of by the limited technical support provided on Avid's site. I am interested in the Matrox product line, but confused by counter claims by competing manufacturers (for example Matrox X series not truely scalable).

In addition, I'm leaning towards the ReelDVD authoring software but open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time - Bernie

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Getting Started
on Jun 21, 2003 at 12:47:17 am

You don't need scsi hard drives. A large dedicated ATA100 hard drive on IDE2 works fine, especially with the RT.X100.

The RT.X100 does a great job on realtime color correction. One advantage the Canopus has over the X100 is its ability to capture multiple video streams simultaneously. The X100 does one stream at a time, but it can do a realtime single-pass scan and capture of DV, breaking your video into separate files automatically.

As far as the scalability claims, the new Xtreme drivers open up a lot more possibilities with the X100.

For camera shake, I recommend using a tripod. You can try to fix this in the edit stage by truncating, but you really need to tape stable video. If the camera's stationary, use a tripod. If it's moving, then look into a steadicam.

I upgraded from an RT2000 to the X100 just to get the realtime transcoding for DVD. It works well and is truly realtime. At best, my RT2000 system was 8:1 using Ligos. DVD authoring was possible, but painfully slow.

If I was buying a DVD authoring package today, I'd probably go with ReelDVD as well, although Ulead DVD Workshop AC-3 has similar capabilities for a little less money. I'm still using DVDit PE until Adobe Encore comes out. Then I'll decide which product to switch to.

Return to posts index

bspitnews
on Jun 24, 2003 at 11:43:59 am

John, thanks for the reply.

Regarding SCSI: I'm looking to do a system drive, a capture drive and an export drive. Currently, I have a PIII, 2 HD, AIW, AO5, DVDROM, ... based PC and have experimented with promise cards for the export drive. Unfortunately, I get timeout errors due to control conflicts. I was thinking about the new Intel 865 chipsets that support 2 serial devices but have not see large drives readily available.

Regarding camera shake: the camera shake is only noticeable when I'm making SVCD. This is due to the low bit rate used during sampling.

Why do SVCD: I'm thinking about doing Video for clients and distibuting in newsgroups. SVCD are about 1/3 the size of DVD and can be played on most DVD players. Frame size is 2/3 but sample rate is less than 1/2. Therefore I am looking for a solution that produces near commercial quality SVCD at an affordable price.

A tripod should solve your problem: some video will be supplied by the client.

Thanks again for responding, I appreciate your comments and sharing your experience with me. Bernie

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 25, 2003 at 3:37:10 am

Most DVD players do NOT play SVCD's. Most will play VCD's, but are sensitive to the media. For most DVD players, CD-RW media works best.

Most X100 owners that have problems are having problems because they're trying to use a RAID controller, which competes with the X100 for PCI bus bandwidth. Matrox's recommendation is to use a dedicated ATA100 drive as master on IDE2. That's because the motherboard IDE interface does not use the PCI bus interface. You can use a RAID or PCI ATA card for other peripherals, just not for realtime A/V capture.

My A7M266-D is configured with:
IDE1 MAS - boot drive
IDE1 SLA - export drive (for realtime DVD transcoding from A/V drive)
IDE2 MAS - A/V drive
IDE2 SLA - Pioneer A03

Whatever capture card you decide on, choose it first, and then configure a computer to operate it. The high end cards are very sensitive to motherboard chipset selection. The X100 won't work with VIA chipsets, and results are mixed with nForce ones, so they're not recommended, either.

Return to posts index

bspitnews
on Jun 30, 2003 at 4:51:05 pm

Hi John and thanks for the reply.

Based on your recommendation, I'll look into a MB that has either onboard SCSI or Serial ATA versus an adapter card. Also, I had no intention of RAID 0 or 5, so that will not be a problem.

My primary question was which Video bundle to buy. As the video will be supplied by the client, I have no control over quality of tape. I'm just looking to make a video that looks as good as the original or better. Furthermore, the answer to the camera shake problem maybe not at this price point (under $1500).

About SVCD, I agree that of all the DVD players ever produced, "Most DVD players do not play SVCD" since the format is new. However, of the DVD players sold for example at the local walmart, many of them do play SVCD. The exception to the rule are Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic. Furthermore, VCD does not look good on screen sizes greater than 32". I have tried but the frame size of VCD (320x240) is to small to play on large screens. The picture quality looks to grainy and unprofessional.

Thanks again for your input - Bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]