FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware to transfer old VHS and Betamax videos

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lumaret
Hardware to transfer old VHS and Betamax videos
on Jun 20, 2003 at 6:08:01 am

Hi;

Which hardware will you recommend me to transfer old videos (Betamax, VHS and Video-8) to digital in order to preserve them and also do some editing with them. I will like them not to loose resolution nor downgrade their actual look. As you can tell they dont have such a good quality, so I would rather not downgrade them even more.

Thanx for your help;

lumaret

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Hardware to transfer old VHS and Betamax video
on Jun 21, 2003 at 12:54:45 am

If you just want to do some capture and simple editing, you might consider buying a DVD recorder. You'd capture directly from your video input, do your editing, and DVD authoring using a standalone box.

If you want to really get into digital video editing, then you can build up an editing computer. Unless, you're running a fire-breathing dragon of a PC now, you should probably decide on building a new computer, tailored to DV. You'll need more RAM, a faster processor (or faster dual processors), more hard drives, a bigger power supply, a DVD burner, and a capture board. I assume the capture device will include video editing and DVD authoring software.

Return to posts index

bodypilot
on Jul 20, 2003 at 1:08:21 pm

ok but some of us do have a nice computer 2.53 p4 512 meg ram, dvd burner and 64 meg of video ram. What method of capture would you suggest. I'm looking at a dazzle that hooks to my fire wire port. Would a pci card be better?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 20, 2003 at 9:48:59 pm

So you have a fire breathing dragon already. Well, one key element would be a dedicated hard drive on IDE2 for your audio/video files. If you try to use your boot drive for your video, you will drop frames whenever Windows decides it needs to talk to the hard drive, which is often.

A PCI card is potentially better, as it has higher bandwidth than a firewire port. Firewire should work okay, though, as firewire was designed for continuous streaming. One advantage the PCI card would probably have is the ability to output your video while editing to a video monitor. I use this with my Matrox RT.X100 all the time to preview my edited video fullscreen on a small television monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]