FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a Bundle, and need some help and ideas

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MikeD02
Building a Bundle, and need some help and ideas
on May 14, 2003 at 5:01:57 am

Hi,
I am updating my entire NLE system including my capture card, and need some help. I'll just start throwing stuff out there. Well, first let me ask, is Avid Xpress DV 3.5 just software, or is it a capture card? okay next, which capture card should I go with? I hear the matrox RTX.100 is a great choice, but this limits me to using Adobe Premiere 6.5, which I don't really have a problem with. If I use Avid Xpress DV although, b/c I hear it's a better NLE than Premiere, then which capture card should I use with that? I'm basically trying to make everything compatible while getting quality items. I'll need storage in medea videoraid scsi, will this cause compatibility issues, or is that nothing to worry about? Also, I'm going to buy pinnacle's commotion pro, and was wondering if it's stand alone or does it only work with certain NLE's? If anyone can answer these questions soon, it would be Extremly appreciated. Also, feel free to throw in any recommendations or any other ideas you might have. Thank you for your time, and of course your patience. Mike.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Building a Bundle, and need some help and idea
on May 14, 2003 at 5:33:22 am

Avid Xpress is just software, that's compatible with just about any firewire card. The ADS Pyro seems to be a popular joice for use with Avid. If you want to transfer your Avid skills to the professional versions of Avid, that do include hardware (bring lots of money), then Xpress would be a good choice.

If you're starting over, I'd look seriously at the realtime cards. I use an X100 and love it. The majority of what I do is realtime, including what I use most, color correction to match different camera video. My transcoding for DVD is realtime using a combination of the X100 hardware with its Ligos GoMotion software. If you're serious about getting into DVD's, this makes a big difference. My RT2000 system would take 10 hours to transcode 1 hour of video using just software. Computers are faster now, so it's closer to realtime in just software, but my X100 has been true realtime for almost a year now.

Read the reviews on this site to compare the different board features.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]