FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie wants to make home movies!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
USAFA Stud 07
Newbie wants to make home movies!
on May 9, 2003 at 9:16:23 pm

Hello,

Let me give you a little background on me to help you understand what I am trying to accomplish:

I am going to the Air Force Academy next year, and I thought it would be cool if I could make some movies (some jokes, etc.) just for fun and to send home to Mom. They give you a laptop when you get there, so any hardware/software would have to be compatible with that. They have not yet released the spec.'s for the computer, but they did say that it would be an updated version of last years, the spec.'s of which I will list below:

<*>IBM Thinkpad T30
<*>Intel Mobil Pentium IV/1.6GHz processor
<*>256 MG RAM
<*>40 GB hard drive
<*>DVD/CD-RW combo drives

SInce it is a lap top, there should be no permanent hardware that would need to be always attached to the computer or difficult to unattach. I have to bring this computer to classes. I am also on a limited budget, but I can spend some :) I currently have a Sharp VL-AH50 Viewcam (Hi8), and I am going out tomorrow to buy a Canon Powershot S50 with 3X zoom and 5 megapixel sensor, that has a built-in movie mode with sound. The problem with the camcorder is that it only has the VCR inputs (i.e. plugs into the red, white, and yellow ports on the VCR) and I would most likely need a USB for the computer. Would I need to buy a dazzle kit for this, or could I just get a cable to convert from VCR to USB?

I was also wondering what kind of video editing software I should get that is user-friendly and inexpensive, but that also allows for some artistic creativity. I have no idea where to start with this so I was hoping you could guide me/give me the basics, etc.

Sorry for the long and somewhat vague post, but I do not know enough about this subject to give you much to go on. I am guessing I need a dazzle kit that comes with some sort of light video editing software, but I wanted to ask just to be safe and for some more input. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]