FORUMS: list search recent posts

analog (vhs) and DVD Video editing (Pl

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tschwemm
analog (vhs) and DVD Video editing (Pl
on Apr 18, 2003 at 10:13:56 pm

I am a new computer owner that is looking into starting a part-time bussiness doing video editing for the school I work at. I would be editing season game film from sporting contests (a lot of movement and action). Most of these films will be VHS, but I also will be working with digital camcorders and cameras. I would also like to take still pictures from the local papers and include them in the season highlight video. My current computer spec are:

Compaq Presario 8000T
P4 2.53 GHz processor
Integrated Soundmax Digital audio
DVD+RW/+R and CDRW Drive
48X Cd-Rom Drive
Digital Video Center
64MB DDR ATI Radeon 7000 w/TV-Out
Windows XP
Microsoft XP Home
512 MB PC2100 (2DIMMS) DDR SDRAM
120 GB HD 7200 RPM

I have read hundreds of messages on this site, and believe that I know alot more now than I did before entering this site several weeks ago, but I also realize that I am at best a beginner. I have already considered getting a seperate external hard drive for video editing only, and from what I have read this is the way to go, so that is my next purchase. My question, however, is what else you would recommend I get to meet my needs. Although I am working off of a limited budget ($500-$1500), I want to get the best, so I don't have to continually upgrade. I currently have videowave to edit DV and Roxio 6.0. I know I am going to need a capture card of some type, but can't decide which would be best for my needs, or even what will atleast give me an excellent product. I would, off course, be placing audio clips over the video clips. Do I need anything special for this? Would you recommend that I get an internal capture card or an external one that attaches to my firewire? Do you think I should also get a seperate DVD machine to copy to or should I use the one installed in my computer?? I am also going to have to have a way to take my video and put it back onto VHS tape for the players, do I need something extra for this? I know there are a lot of things I am forgetting or don't know about!!
Any help that anyone could give me would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks alot all.
Troy

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: analog (vhs) and DVD Video editing 
on Apr 19, 2003 at 10:18:50 pm

I'm using a Matrox RT.X100 to do realtime video editing. It's a PCI board with analog composite, S-video, and firewire input/output. I capture either analog or DV and edit it in Premiere. Most effects are realtime, allowing instant preview. After editing is complete, I can transcode the DV for DVD authoring, also in realtime.

I highly recommend the X100, but it does have very tight hardware compatibility. I did not see you Presario listed on their validated systems list.

You will need at least two hard drives, three if you want to do realtime DVD transcoding.

Return to posts index

tschwemm
on Apr 20, 2003 at 1:57:09 pm

Thanks alot for your help. Why do you recommend three hard drives instead of two. I am assuming you can use this to also then copy back to VHS? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 21, 2003 at 12:43:04 am

My system is configured per Matrox's recommendations:

IDE1 MAS boot drive
IDE1 SLA export drive
IDE2 MAS video drive
IDE2 Pioneer A03

I capture and edit my video on the video drive. Since it's on IDE2, Windows won't interrupt the I/O when capturing the video or exporting it. After editing is complete, I transcode the video in realtime from the video drive on IDE2 to the export drive on IDE1. If I didn't have the export drive, it could still be done, just a little slower. When I build the DVD image, it reads the video files on the export drive on IDE1 and writes then to the video drive on IDE2. Performance is maximized, because I'm reading large video files from one IDE channel and writing to new large video files on another IDE channel. You can only read or write to one drive on an IDE channel at a time. To maximize performance, you have to read from one channel and write to another.

Return to posts index

tschwemm
on Apr 21, 2003 at 11:09:13 pm

Thanks alot for helping out. I am going to find a capture program and start from there. I'll beback with more questions. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]