FORUMS: list search recent posts

I know I seem like an idiot, but can anyone help?

COW Forums : Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
I know I seem like an idiot, but can anyone help?
on Apr 14, 2003 at 10:51:22 pm

I have a Sony CCD-TRV108 video camera that has AV output and a S Video output plugs. I also have Roxio Videowave movie creator software. Neither are very expensive really, but I feel really stupid. From what I gather I need a capture card and either a USB/S Video adapter or simply a regular audio/video cord. I am pretty confused and I'm not sure which route I should take. What are the best capture cards for a reasonable price? I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Return to posts index

Re: I know I seem like an idiot, but can anyone he
on May 14, 2003 at 9:22:28 pm

I downloaded the Sony manual for your camera and I see that it also has an "i.LINK®* DV Interface (IEEE 1394) port", which is Sony’s name for firewire (1394). This will allow you some better options for getting video in or out of your camera. I capture both analog and digital video into my computer with a Matrox RTX10 card and also thru my computers built in firewire ports. It all depends on what I'm trying to accomplish at the time. Using the firewire port on your camera will allow you to automate video capture functions via your movie editing software (that is if it has a camera control function. I do believe Roxio Videowave does). The editing software tells your camera where to fast forward to, and when to start playing so the hard drive can start it's capture. If you’re capturing analog video then you have to start and stop both your camera and your computer manually. This is no big deal if your going to capture the whole tape, but it can be time consuming if you have a bunch of small clips to capture. If you have a firewire (IEEE 1394) port already on your computer, then all you need to do is buy a firewire (IEEE 1394) cable from your local store. Take your camcorder with you when you buy it to make sure you get the right one. If you don't have a firewire port on your computer, then your going to have to buy a:

1. A firewire adapter (Plugs into a PCI SLOT). (Cheapest solution since you already have Roxio Videowave.)

2. Video capture card with (IEEE 1394) firewire port. (Read reviews on this site. Im not up to date on the lastest models.)

3. Upgrade your Video or Sound card with one of the models that has a built in (IEEE 1394) port on it.

Good luck, Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved