FORUMS: list search recent posts

RDRAM

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NeedHelpBadly
RDRAM
on Apr 4, 2003 at 9:08:58 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I'm debating with myself as to whether RDRAM makes a difference over single channel DDR RAM and whether I should pay good money for RDRAM. All I want to do is grab about an hour's worth of home movie footage, edit it a bit and then use a DVD authoring package to create a DVD in presentable form. Would RDRAM take away some headaches or does it all come down to having two HDs and combining them with a RAID setup? This is kind of urgent, I want to get my video editing system setup as soon as possible! What should I do?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: RDRAM
on Apr 5, 2003 at 1:48:01 am

The RAM speed only comes slightly into play when you're doing something that requires rendering. If you have a realtime card, it doesn't really matter. The most limiting factor is the hard drive I/O rate.

You also don't need RAID to do video capture and editing. You do need multiple drives to be able to read from one drive and write to another simultaneously. Almost any 7200 rpm ATA100 drive can sustain throughput of 27 GB/sec to/from disk. A single DV stream is about 3.6.

A few years ago, you needed RAID, because hard drives weren't big enough. DV uses 13 GB per hour of video. The biggest video project I edited used about 60 GB, so even an 80 GB dedicated video drive is probably big enough.

Return to posts index

NeedHelpBadly
Re: RDRAM
on Apr 5, 2003 at 2:09:50 pm

Thank you for the info! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]