FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latest Analog Capture Recommendations?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
amendegw
Latest Analog Capture Recommendations?
on Oct 2, 2003 at 12:03:23 pm

Hi! I've just upgraded to a PIV 2.8 MHz with XP Pro.

I've tried move my Dazzle DVC II PCI card to the new PC and have been unsuccessful in getting it to work (Error: AppName: moviestar.exe AppVer: 4.25.4.210 ModName: dazzledvxdevicex.ocx ModVer: 4.25.4.129 Offset: 00050e2f)

So... I'm in the market for a new capture mechanism. Budget is roundly $200, including bundled software. What's the latest recommendation? Considering MovieBox USB or Dazzle DVC-150 or ??? Leaning toward MovieBox because of my existing problems with Dazzle DVC II.

Any Recommendations?

Thanx,
...Jerry

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Latest Analog Capture Recommendations?
on Oct 3, 2003 at 12:11:25 am

There are a lot of hardware mpeg encoders on the market now. I replaced my DVC II with a Snazzi III USB 2.0 earlier this year and have been happy with the results, particularly with its ability to capture extended video clips without freezing up or losing audio-video sync. It uses the same mpeg encoder the TIVO 2 does. Also, Adaptec makes an mpeg capture device that uses the same encoder.

ADS-TECH makes the Instand DVD USB 2.0 that uses another hardware encoder which is used in some stand alone DVD recorders.

I had a brief look at a Dazzle DVC 150 late last year and was impressed with the quality of the short clip I looked at. Of course, Pinnacle now owns Dazzle and I would be worried about them stopping supporting it in favor of their own encoder.

I do not know anything about the Pinnacle MovieBox USB 2 or Canopus' hardware encoder.

I would be tempted to try the ADS Pyro Instant DVD 2.0 because of the Ulead software bundle.

Return to posts index

outta luck chuck
on May 16, 2004 at 4:58:41 pm

I feel your pain, I to have also updated my pc but to a speed demon P4 3.2ghs HT, ASUSp4p800 deluxe, 1 gig ram and a ATI 9800XT 256mb vidcard only to find out my Dazzle DVC II capture card won't work with it. I'm getting the same type message you're getting and Pinnacle doesn't want anything to do with it or any Dazzle support issue. Pinnacle has pretty much washed their hands of Dazzle and will not help you or anyone who owns a Dazzle card which didn't come with their brand of software, so the card we own that came with MovieStar and DVDit software is now a $250.00 coaster or bookmark. I've read on several sites that Pinnacle only bought out Dazzle because Dazzle had a superior produt than Pinnacle's and by buying their main competitor they could eliminate all compitition for the low to midrange priced video capture cards and now I hear they're trying to get out of the capture card market totally and will leave the rest of their customers hanging out to dry. The bottom line is "STAY AWAY FROM PINNACLE" it's not worth the headache.

Return to posts index

amendegw
on May 16, 2004 at 8:36:36 pm

To update this thread... I bit the bullet and bought a Canopus ACEDVio capture card - bundled with Vegas. They're both rock solid and I'm more than happy.

...Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]