FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolution Opinion

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
henrysteele
Resolution Opinion
on Mar 14, 2003 at 5:37:04 pm

Looking for opinions/ option:

I am converting a VHS tape to DVD. The VHS tape is 8MM video from the early 80's which was brought over to VHS tape in the 90's. Now, in the 2000's, I'm trying to bring the VHS tape into the computer to burn to DVD.

Here's my problem:

The VHS tape looks fine on my TV but when I burn it to DVD it looks grainy. Is this a resolution problem with the original 8MM source? Is it a problem that it's 2nd generation source?

My hook up is going from the VCR out to my JVC digital camcorder then through firewire to my computer.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and assistance!!

Return to posts index

RRLech
Re: Resolution Opinion
on Mar 17, 2003 at 3:27:21 pm

I didn't seen any replies to your question, so I figured I'd take a shot at it...

Two things struck me about your situation:

1) You originally went from 8mm to VHS. This alone may have degraded your video. As I recall VHS is less resolute than 8mm.

2) You are ending up 3 generations from the original video (8mm-VHS-DV) Each successive generation will be less clear than the previous. This could acount for grainy video.

My advice: find the 8mm version if possible.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

JimBask
Re: Resolution Opinion
on Mar 19, 2003 at 6:29:43 pm

Ahhhh... the beauty of tape. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about generation loss which seems to be the problem you are facing. You may want to try an analog capture card in your computer to eliminate the JVC camera from the equation. Or, if you just want to convert to DVD and don't have a lot of editing needs check out the ADS Pyro USB Instant DVD. http://www.videoguys.com/Instant_DVD.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]