FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to Configure IDE controllers?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GraniteGranny
Best way to Configure IDE controllers?
on Mar 6, 2003 at 5:37:02 pm

I've been video editing for over a year now. I have an Athlon 1700 processer and an Asus A7V266-E mother board with raid capability.

My current IDE set up is something like this. I have 4 IDE controllers 2 of which are RAID. Both RAID IDE controllers are set up with 40GB drives set to stripe I think that is RAID 0.

I have one of my other controllers set up with a 25GB hard drive as primary master and my CD-RW as a slave.

The final controller I believe is set up with my DVDROM drive.

The 25GB hard drive is where my operating system (winXP) is loaded and my Premier 6.5 software is loaded. I use the RAID drives for scratch disc and capture file storage.

Now my 25GB hard drive is getting very full, 97% or so. Therefore I need to do something about it. I need a bigger capacity hard drive but how should I configure my system?

Lets say I buy a 60GB drive should I get rid of the 25GB drive completely? Or should I install the 60GB drive as primary and have the 25GB drive as a slave? If so what is the best way to configure my IDE controllers?

I'm thinking as follows
RAID controllers 1 & 2 remain as is
IDE 1 primary = 60GB drive master with 25GB drive as slave
IDE 2 secondary = DVD master with CD-RW slave

Thanks for advice.

Steve

ps If I buy the 60GB drive I wont really need the 25GB drive but I might as well use it instead of dumping it.

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Best way to Configure IDE controllers?
on Mar 12, 2003 at 5:46:13 am

Hi there
I'm no expert in raid configuration in any way but as far as I know the way you are thinking looks like the best solution to me. Good luck with your computer and yes I agree that you might as well use the 25 gig rather then dumping it, that would be a waste, unless you'd like to send it to me, lol.
Happy editing
Later
Brent Laughing

Return to posts index

bernard
Re: Best way to Configure IDE controllers?
on Apr 6, 2003 at 8:30:04 pm

I would keep the 25G as master on my second IDE

Return to posts index

GraniteGranny
Why keep the 25G as master in second IDE?
on Apr 12, 2003 at 7:57:12 pm

Whats the thinking there?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Why keep the 25G as master in second IDE?
on Apr 12, 2003 at 9:15:16 pm

IDE can only talk to one drive on an interface at a time. Windows will ALWAYS try to talk to the boot drive. Video digitizing doesn't like to be interrupted, but Windows has priority, so a drive being used for streaming video will be interrupted, if it's on the primary IDE channel. Therefore, you want your dedicated video drive to be on the secondary IDE channel, where it won't be interrupted by Windows.

Return to posts index

GraniteGranny
Don't CDRW & CDROM operate at ATA 60 or someth
on Apr 21, 2003 at 2:08:16 am

I figure though if you put a hard drive as primary and with a CDRW or DVDROM as slave then you slow the hard drive down to the speed of the CD drives (ATA 60) ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]