FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie system/HD question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mandaguy
Newbie system/HD question
on Mar 5, 2003 at 10:07:20 pm

I've been in the market for an off the shelf computer system to be used primarily for DV editing. On a whim I bought a Sony Digital Studio last night at costco. Price was reasonable and came with a nice 18.1 inch LCD. Besides the summary description on the tag (pentium 4 3.06ghz, 1g memory, 250 HD, DVD-R/W and another DVD-ROM, WinXP Home) there was no other information. 6 month return policy, so I gambled (it was there last one) and bought it.

Now the problem: I had to set it up and fire it up in order to get any info on the HD. It's a Maxtor drive, model 4A250JO. I searched around on the web and there is little info about this HD. One hit suggested it is 5400 rpm. I have heard this speed is subpar for DV use. What do you guys/gals think about this drive for DV use? I'm thinking I'll play around for a week or two and then take it back if the HD lack of speed becomes paralyzing ... or should I not even waste my time and return it at once? What are the typical problems (e.g., dropped frames during capture and rendering)? Any other suggested setups (off the shelf if possible)?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Newbie system/HD question
on Mar 6, 2003 at 5:36:38 am

I would recommend a second 7200 rpm ATA100+ hard drive on the second IDE channel for capturing your video. Windows will take control of the boot drive periodically. If it happens while you're capturing video, you will have dropped frames. Keep the Maxtor drive as your boot drive, and add a dedicated hard drive for your video.

Return to posts index

JimBask
Re: Newbie system/HD question
on Mar 20, 2003 at 3:12:01 pm

Well said John! Don't worry about the speed of that Maxtor. keep that set up as your system drive and add a 7200rpm drive as a second hard drive that will be dedicated to video storage. I would make this same recommendation for ANY system. If you are using a digital camera for video you should check out the new Vegas 4 software from Sinic Foundry. It will be a great editing software on that machine and will work with the DV card built-in.
http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]