Which Way to Go?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake
Which Way to Go?
by
on Mar 2, 2003 at 2:24:37 pm

I have the following laptop:

Toshiba 5205-S503. The system consist of: Mobile P4 2.0 GHz, L2 cache 512 KB, 400 MHz FSB, 512 MB PC2100 DDR, nVIDIA GeForce4 460 Go 128-bit graphics accelerator, 40 GIG hard drive, USB 2.0 (x3), 1394 port, DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive.

I'll be adding the following equipment to the system: Sony DRX500 ULX (DVD burner) and a Maxtor 5000DV (dedicated hard drive for video editing).

I'm trying to decide between the following setups: Dazzle DPS Real Time Video Producer (with Premiere 6.5) or ADS Pyro card with Vegas 4.

I do have some old VHS tapes I would like to transfer to DVD, but I guess I could live without them being converted.

I'm just getting started in video editing. I do have a digital camcorder and future recordings will be with the camcorder and transfering to DVDs.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Which Way to Go?
on Mar 12, 2003 at 6:09:46 am

Hi there
I'm a fan of Premiere 6.5 so I would recommend the Dazzle card, although I haven't heard much about it. I'm pretty sure it has composite attachments so you would be able to record your vhs to dvd. Premiere has a great new titler and a sweet mpeg encoder that creats great looking mpeg for DVD's. I'm still not too fermiliar with the new version of Vegas 4. I tried Vegas 3 but I was so used to Premiere that I didn't really bother to get acquainted with it and truely learn how to use it. I hear that Vegas 4 has some of the best audio tools in it and has really great realtime processor support. I read one of Garys posts (I think it was Gary's I know it was one of the videoguys) and he said that he doesn't recommend Premiere 6.5 without a realtime card, but that wouldn't be a problem in this case as it has the Dazzle card. I am used to editing with Premiere so that would definatley be my choice. I would suggest to you that if you already edit with a program you are willing to take the time to learn the new program. If you don't know any programs now then I would check the system requirements to make sure each is fully compatible and then research as much as possible and go from there. One thing I do know is that the pyro firewire cards are easy to set up and really reliable. Well hope you figure out which card is best for you. Please feel free to ask me any more questions!
Good Luck
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

Jake
by
on Mar 13, 2003 at 2:40:47 am

Brent,

Sure do appreciate your comments. Here's my take on things at this moment in time:

Looks like Dazzle's DPS RTVP (Real Time Video Producer) will not make it to market. They couldn't get certification from Premiere, which was going to be bundled with the device. I know Dazzle offers other devices which basically performs the same function, but I'm primarily wanting something for Real Time NLE. I have a laptop, so it leaves me to walk down the road of "software" packages for video editing in real time. Also, with software, you have a scalability which hardware can't provide. The two main software packages are Vegas4 and Avid XpressDV. Xpress is too darn expensive for my budget. I've already purchased the Sony DRX-500ULX for burning my DVDs. I've also purchased an Adaptec 3-port firewire cardbus for my laptop. The remaining things I need is the Maxtor 5000DV external hard drive and Vegas4+DVD.

Once again, I appreciate your time and advice. Happy editing!

Return to posts index

JimBask
on Mar 19, 2003 at 6:56:39 pm

Vegas4+DVD hands down. We've had the pleasure of playing with the software for a couple of weeks and it is an amazing product. And I mean that for editing video, audio & DVD production. If you need the ability to convert analog video you can always add the DAC100 media converter from Datavideo for only $199 so don't let that affect your decision!

Jim
800-323-2325 x110

Return to posts index

Jake
by
on Mar 19, 2003 at 7:26:38 pm

Jim,

Appreciate the added information on the DAC100 media converter from Datavideo. I wasn't aware of this converter.

I've decided to purchase Vegas4+DVD. I'm just waiting for my tax refund Smile .

Once again, we all appreciate your input!

Adios, Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]