FORUMS: list search recent posts

PIO/DMA WIN2K ISSUE

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PAULYWALLY
PIO/DMA WIN2K ISSUE
on Feb 27, 2003 at 5:58:53 pm

I am running win2k pro with service pack 3, pentium4 1.5ghz, 512 meg ram and was having a lot of problems with capturing. I have finally got things working well but in device manager it shows that my IDE controller is running in PIO mode which I know is not good for capturing, the check mark is set for running DMA if available. Why would it be running in PIO mode, everything is compatible for UDMA100. I have had people suggest going into BIOS and change this but it is not in my BIOS. I have added the line in the registry to activate ultra dma66 with no changes to system performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: PIO/DMA WIN2K ISSUE
on Feb 28, 2003 at 2:25:01 am

Typically, it's due to either a bad bios setting or a bad cable.

Return to posts index

PAULYWALLY
on Feb 28, 2003 at 7:38:37 pm

When you say a bad BIOS setting what should I be looking for, I see nothing in regards to DMA for the hard disc, I have been told this is automatic and that the BIOS will configure it to DMA if it can or is available. I am thinking that possibly the BIOS may be corrupt or possibly needs to be flashed. Does this sound right. Paul

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 1, 2003 at 1:42:57 am

If your bios settings for the drive are manually set, rather than be set to auto, you could prevent proper configuration of the drive.

I'd check to make sure the cable is fully seated or try a new 80-pin ATA100 cable.

Return to posts index

PAULYWALLY
on Mar 3, 2003 at 12:08:35 pm

Ok here is the latest, bought an 80 GIG hard drive this weekend and installed it with a 80 wire cable, putting it as the slave and the current 40 gig as the master, formatted the new drive and tested it, all is ok. Bios looks good, it auto detected it. Went to device manager and both drives are set to use DMA if available but both drives are running PIO mode. I cannot figure this out, should I reflash the BIOS. As I said the cable has been replaced with new 80 pin ata100 cable.

Return to posts index

Daniel Rodriguez
on May 14, 2003 at 3:07:18 am

Ran into this with an Aopen board running Win2k. Turns out the VIA chipset drivers that came with the motherboard didn't support UDMA detection. So, the drivers four IDE controllers may need to be updated. Look up your motherboard and see if the manufacturer has issued any driver updates for the chipset on the motherboard - I had the same exact symptoms and this solved my problem. Turns out that the motherboard was actually shipped with the wrong drivers. Interesting enough, when I moved the same motherboard a year later into a new system, XP detected the motherboard and installed the proper IDE controller for the chipset.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]