FORUMS: list search recent posts

External HD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl
External HD
by
on Feb 26, 2003 at 2:12:27 am

I have a desknote 2.4 ghz, 512 ram, 30 gig hd running win xp pro. I also have an external maxtor 30 gig 7200 rpm hd connected via usb 2.0. I would LOVE to capture my video to this external drive, but frames get drop when I try. It works fine capturing to the internal drive. My question is, is there anything I can do to speed up that connection to the external? Is there a way to check the speed?
By the way, I'm using a canon gl-1 and capturing via firewire. I hope this is enough info. Thank you very much for any help you can supply.
Carl

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: External HD
on Feb 26, 2003 at 5:18:39 am

There is no way to "speed it up". USB is designed to operate a lot of devices simultaneously. Much like the internet, data is broken down into bite-size packets that can intermingle between multiple devices. USB is simply not designed for sustained, uninterrupted fast throughput. For sustained high datarates, you need firewire or ATA100.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 26, 2003 at 12:46:39 pm

So even USB 2.0 drives are not suitable for video capture? Interesting information.

Return to posts index

Carl
by
on Feb 26, 2003 at 5:49:16 pm

but i thought the data transfer rate for usb 2.0 was higher than that of firewire

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 26, 2003 at 8:29:32 pm

I did too

Return to posts index

owen
by
on Feb 26, 2003 at 8:47:50 pm

The data rate for USB-2 is higher than Firewire, but probably has more overhead to deal with. There are USB-2 DV input devices which work well (according to specs).

Edward Owen - Novice

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 27, 2003 at 5:18:13 am

A DV input device is different from a hard drive. Theoretically, a firewire drive can handle the DV from my Matrox RT.X100. In reality, it can't do it without dropping frames. According to the specs, USB 2 is 40 times faster than USB 1.1. In actual use, you'll find they're only about 5 times faster.

I'll bet the USB 2 DV input device can only capture video when writing to an ATA hard drive.

Return to posts index

Daniel Rodriguez
on May 14, 2003 at 3:11:27 am

For video, USB 2.0 steenx!

Go firewire or good old SCSI, dude!

SCSI's pricey but nowhere near the amount of BS to deal with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]