FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommending a harddrive

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wabadoo
Recommending a harddrive
on Feb 24, 2003 at 6:53:02 pm

First-timer on this post!
I read Peter's post and have another question(s) about harddrives. I have a Maxtor 5400rpm ATA/100 partitioned with 56gigs dedicated to video capture(NTFS setup). Recently purchased the Canopus advc-100 converter...can't wait til it gets here(4 more days..arrgh!).
My question is: Will a ATA/100 harddrive be fast enough to capture video without dropped frames or stuttering?
What harddrive specifications would you recommend?

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Recommending a harddrive
on Feb 24, 2003 at 10:57:48 pm

Hi there
I would recommend having a 7200 RPM 2nd hard drive dedicated to video. With a 2nd hard drive you should be able to capture fully uncompressed video without dropping frames. You could keep your 5400RPM drive for you operating system and programs and use the 7200 for video files (but 2 7200RPM drives would be ideal) and it should work pretty good. Just make sure to defrag your hard drives regularly and try to leave at least 15% free space on the hard drives to keep them running ideally. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Good luck and enjoy your Canopus converter!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

wabadoo
on Feb 25, 2003 at 5:17:01 am

Hi Brent,

Cool. Thanks for the advice! I'm print'in this stuff out!
Got a few more questions.
Does it matter if it's ATA/100 or ATA/133(7200rpm)?
You suggested earlier having both drives as masters. I take it the 2nd drive's speed would be affected if it was a slave(with the 1st drive 5400rpm, 2nd drive 7200rpm)?

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Feb 25, 2003 at 4:35:27 pm

Hi there
ATA/133 would be ideal, but having a 7,200 rpm drive is the most important thing and will make much more of a difference then ATA/133. Yes for the optimal configuration for your system you would want your 5400rpm drive on EIDE controller 1 Master and your 7,200rpm drive controller 2 Master. Things should work fine with this setup. I know a few people who don't even have a 2nd hard drive for editing and they can capture fine and edit perfectly untill there hard drive starts to get to the 15%free space range and then begin having some problems. Yes having the drives on seperate masters is the best cause sometimes windows accesses the slave drive periodically and if you are trying to capture when it does this it could create dropped frames. Hope you get your present in the mail soon, I know I can never wait when I've ordered something! Good luck!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

wabadoo
on Feb 25, 2003 at 6:12:01 pm

GREAT! Thanks again!

Cool

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Feb 25, 2003 at 6:57:26 pm