FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help with analog capturing and burning to DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kerensa
Need help with analog capturing and burning to DVD
on Feb 21, 2003 at 3:21:26 pm

I'm new to this whole area, but would like to start a small business converting video to DVD. I just puchased a P4 Gateway Computer that came with a combined DVD/CD Burner - DVD burns at 2x. I am using Pinnacle Studio 8 LE to capture, edit and burn. I also bought the Pinnacle Linx USB Plus to get my VHS-C to my computer. I did a 50 minute video. It took about 4 hours to render, compile and burn to disc. I couldn't believe it was so slow and the quality was not the greatest. It looked worse than the video instead of being the DVD quality that I was expecting (or at least as good as the video).

What can I do to speed this process? Some specific questions: 1. Is this time typical? 2. Is this Pinnacle software/USB connection sufficient? 3. Do I need to purchase a stand alone DVD drive? 4. Any suggestions to increase quality? 5. In the software settings to actually make the disc – is there a significant difference in Best Quality (only holds about an hour) and most video on the disc (2 hours)?

In my Capture settings (software) under capture format – I have it set for best quality, and it automatically sets the following: Compression: YUV2 . Is this okay or should I do the Custom settings and set my own compression?

I would really appreciate anyone’s advice. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Need help with analog capturing and burning to
on Feb 22, 2003 at 6:20:37 am

Your USB device just cannot capture good enough quality video to produce a decent quality DVD. You need a better capture device.

The processor speed and the amount and speed of your RAM affect the encoding speed. What are your system's specs?

Also, if you do not already have one, get a second hard drive for your projects.

How much editing do you plan on the video you capture?

Return to posts index

kerensa
on Feb 22, 2003 at 7:12:45 pm

I have a Gateway Intel P4 2.53GHz, 80GB HDD 512MB DDR. It has 2.0 USB. The computer also has IEEE 1394 FireWire. I'm not going to do alot of editing, mostly just transfering movies in their original format. Do you have any suggestions on a different capture device?

I really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 23, 2003 at 1:23:16 am

Your computer should be able to encode DV to Mpeg 2 at somewhere around a 2-to-1 ratio (2 minutes of encoding/rendering for every minute of video).

What was the resolution/frame size you used with your USB device? If I remember correctly, you probably cannot capture full motion video at much more than a 352 x 240 resolution, and I believe having to encode from a lower resolution to a higher one takes more time. That probably accounts for the added time, as well as the disappointing quality.

The experts, including the Videoguys, usually recommend the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe for someone in your situation. If you decide on one of these cards, consider having it professionally installed.

Other options include firewire analog-to-DV converters and hardware Mpeg encoders.

Why don’t you check with Gateway and see if they have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]