FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solutions for loss of stereo sound upon capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DaddySchlich
Solutions for loss of stereo sound upon capture
on Feb 15, 2003 at 12:49:07 pm

Hi,

I have a SONY DCR-TRV730 camcorder, along with an ECM-HS1 electret condenser microphone. I have discovered that, when I record a tape with the microphone attached in the Gun position, the stereo sound on the tape becomes one-channel audio if I capture the video to my PC. The stereo sound is recorded on the tape, as shown by straight playback from the camcorder onto a TV.

I continue to get stereo sound in the capture file if the microphone is set in the Zoom position, or if it is set as Off.

Why is this happening? Is there any way to change this?

I have a high school concert tape from December. Is there any way to "fix" this, or at least convert the capture file to two-channel mono?

Thanks.

Jim

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Solutions for loss of stereo sound upon captur
on Feb 15, 2003 at 11:43:06 pm

I get the same audio with my Sony TRV230 using this mike. When I'm using the Gun mode, I duplicate the audio in Premiere by right-clicking the audio track and select Audio Options, Duplicate Right.

Return to posts index

DaddySchlich
on Feb 16, 2003 at 9:34:37 pm

Thanks, John, for the input. Your experience suggests it's the equipment, not anything I did wrong. Unfortunately, I don't have Premiere - Pinnacle Systems' Studio 8. I'll query them about how to duplicate the channel.

Return to posts index

DaddySchlich
on Mar 1, 2003 at 3:31:54 pm

John,

I wanted to thank you again for your help. Although the SONY Tech Support responses were not totally consistent, the short of it is that this particular mic is often not stereo or two-channel when recording. I understand from others that changing the camcorder to record in 16-bit audio solves the problem of having the sound come out of one-channel only, but I haven't tried that yet. Avoiding Gun mode may work, but at least some SONY Tech Support reps say that the sound becomes mono when you actually zoom the camcorder.

As far as how to deal with already recorded tapes, I downloaded the 30-day tryout version of Adobe Premiere and duplicated the left channel (which was the one that was working), so that I now have two channels of sound.

Thanks again.

DaddySchlich

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 1, 2003 at 9:43:50 pm

Since I am recording video ultimately for DVD, my Sony camcorders are already set to 16-bit mode. The mike is still mono in shotgun mode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]