FORUMS: list search recent posts

One file but More than one CD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
murphy_david
One file but More than one CD
on Feb 15, 2003 at 11:26:54 am

Hi,
Anybody got any thoughts on the following.
I want to store my home videos on CD. I captured my video via firewire in AVI format using MGI VIDEOWAVE III, edited it and rendered it into MPEG format. The resulting file was about 750meg, which was too large to put on one CD. I tried to split it into 2 files (one about 650meg and the other holding the remainder) using the VIDEOWAVE III editing features. No matter which way I went I had the following two problems. I could not work out where to make the split because there was no way of telling what the final file sizes would be and the MPEG file could not be split without it requiring to be re-rendered which takes an enormous amount of time.
My next approach was to use a general file splitting program (the type that were developed to break down large files to back them up onto floppy discs). This works fine and is much much faster than re-rendering.
However if I want to pass the video to my friends they have to install the splitter program on their computer and re-combine the files on the CDs onto their hard discs to view them. In passing I note that the first CD can in fact be viewed direct if I change the split file’s name to end in .mpg but not the second one.
Does anyone know of a fast way (not requiring re-rendering) to split an MPEG file in two or more parts of known size so that both parts can be viewed direct from a CD.
This is meant to be a Hobby but is trying to take over all my free time. Happy Days

Thanks

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: One file but More than one CD
on Feb 20, 2003 at 10:40:01 pm

Hi there
Nope I'm not too sure of a way to do that, although it would definatly help me out too if someone could recommend one. Anyways what I wanted to tell you was about a bitrate calcutator http://www.dvdrhelp.com/calc.htm with this you can type in how long the project is and what format you are trying to put it on (from cd to DVD) and it will tell you what settings you need to compress it to in order for it to fit on 1 cd(or DVD). So with this you can put in what it tells you and then only have to render it once and not have to worry about it not fitting, or having to break it into 2. Hope this helps!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

murphy_david
Re: One file but More than one CD
on Feb 28, 2003 at 9:54:12 am

Thank you for your help. I tried the calculator and it will save me a lot of time.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]