COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tommygunn
xeon or 3.06?
on Feb 6, 2003 at 8:33:07 am

Hi i am looking to get a new system for myself

I am looking at a dual xeon 2.6 with 1 gig of ddr ram
or a P4 3.06 with 1 gig of ddr ram.

I use dps velocity, after effects and digtal fusion.

I wanted to know how much of a gain can i get with after effects?
over a 3.06 system.
I also do dvd authoring too.

If i could have some feedback from xeon users and p4 3.06 uses
on their system and speed test they have had.
or any pros and cons on thse system.

Thanks

Tommy

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: xeon or 3.06?
on Feb 20, 2003 at 10:57:20 pm

Hi there
I don't have a dual Xeon system but I do know that in order for the 2 processors to work you will need to run Win XP as the other versions don't have dual processor support. Also it really depends upon what software you are using with it and if the software has dual processor support. I know for know premiere offers dual monitor support, but only on rendering so there is little advantage gained (it would be better to get a reattime card). Even when exporting in premiere it doesn't take advantage of the 2nd processor, so most of the time its just the collecting dust. I'm not too sure what kind of support the programs you use offer, but if they do offer full support, you will probably notice a huge difference with the Xeon board, but if it offers little support go for the 3.06 as you will see a faster difference with everything and will probably be able to edit faster than with the xeon board. I did alot of research on this when i was looking at a new system and thought 2 processors would be much quicker than 1 but learned that for me anyways (due to the software I use) 1 faster processor will do more for me than 2. Good luck with your choice, I'd definalty research the support of my software and see if its worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]