FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC Recommendations

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rwv_99
PC Recommendations
on Jan 19, 2003 at 11:49:59 pm

I would like to buy a new PC, that will be dedicated to Video and Photo editing. My budget for a new machine is $2000. I looked at a Dell Dimension 8250, and configured a modest machine (without monitor and DVD RW drive) for just under $1500. I'd like to add a DVD RW drive later. I already have a reasonable good monitor, so I am going to hold off on a monitor purchase right now.

I like Dell because of their reliability. I'm open to suggestions from those who have had good experiences with other manufacturers as well.

I plan to follow the Videoguy's recommendations on video capture boards and software.

Thanking everyone in advance for their help.

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Re: PC Recommendations
on Jan 21, 2003 at 3:38:18 pm

I think any PC that a capture card manufacturer recommends is fine.
For me though, the best route is to find a good computer store in your area and build one. If you not real savvy with that, I can say that I wasn't either when I built my first one last April. I won't ever buy a pre-made one again. I built a second one just two months ago. It is amazing how much money can be saved. The actual assembling of the hardware is very basic. I bought a nice, large tower case with power supply for $39. I already had the mouse and keyboard and monitor. By the time I put in a mother board, processor (1.3Ghz Athalon) and 256Meg DDR, floppy drive and CD ROM drive, I'd spent only $300. Oh, I also already had two 40GB HDs and used those. A good 80GB or 100GB can be had for around $120 and a 60GB around $80. I use it for a graphics workstation. The MB had an onboard network adapter. I networked it to my video editing system. It was the first time I networked anything. It was easy too.

If you're set on not building, the first sentence here is your best bet.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 21, 2003 at 5:06:39 pm

Do you have a preference on capture cards and software? If you plan on using an OHCI-compliant fire wire card, then just about any computer with a decent graphics card will do. You can get great deals these days. I just saw a vpr Matrix Pentium 4 2.8GHZ with a Pioneer DVD-R/RW for under $1200 at my local Best Buy. Our local CompUSA has (or recently had) a Compaq with an XP 2100+ processor with a DVD-R/RW for $1100. I don't know about the vpr Matrix, but I have enjoyed the Compaq's with AMD processors. I am writing this on one with an XP1800+ that I was using to edit video before I killed our family computer by upgrading it to death.

Return to posts index

digitaldot
on Jan 22, 2003 at 8:20:25 pm

just curious after reading your post...what are you using now to do video editing on? you killed your family computer...? are you content with the results you are getting doing video editing and what specific components are you most happy with....am new to this and like the Dell.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 22, 2003 at 11:29:43 pm

I haven't been doing any lately. I have been trying to put together a new one from a bare bones kit I bought and have been struggling. I found out my case of Stupid-User-Syndrome is worse than I thought.

I like this Compaq, but I am not too sure about the new ones now that HP has taken over. My new one (a P4 with the new PC1066 RAM) is almost 50% faster than this "old" Compaq 8000 with an AMD XP 1800+ processer and PC2100 RAM, but I have screwed up the installation and am getting a lot of device conflict crashes.

I have been using Ulead products (Video Studio 6, Media Studio Pro 6.5 and DVD Workshop) with a Pioneer A103 on a fire wire card.

Most experts prefer Pinnacle Studio for entry level.

Do you have a preference?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]