FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Hard Drive Install

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rwv_99
New Hard Drive Install
on Jan 18, 2003 at 6:08:38 pm

I'm new to this site. It appears to be just what I've been looking for. Now for my questions.

My current PC is a 4 year old Compaq Presario with 512meg of ram, a 25gig hd, a 900mhz AMD Athlon processor, 200mhz fsb, and a low end video card (don't know the specs off the top of my head), running WinXP home edition.

I have video that I've shot with my Sony IP5 MicroMV camcorder, that I would like to download, edit, and eventually export to DVD or VCD. I've added a firewire card to the PC, however the Movie Shaker software that came with the camera does not cooperate (as I've read to be the experience of other users on other bboards) and after several hours of trying to get video downloaded to the PC, I gave up..

Anyway, I've heard that Pinnacle Studio 8 supports my camcorder (so I purchased it, and its still in the box). I also went ahead and bought a Western Digital 120gig drive (the special edition one with the 8mb cache).

So now for my questions. Does it matter if I install the wd 120 gig drive as a slave drive (for video storage and editing) or should I install it as the master and load my OS and all the s/w on it, and use the 25 gig as a slave (or use it for something else)? Am I wasting my time with this PC and should I go for a faster machine, or will I be able to get it to do some basic video editing with the h/w and s/w I described?

Any help will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: New Hard Drive Install
on Jan 18, 2003 at 7:10:41 pm

Ultimately, you'll probably find that you'll want a faster machine. I've progressed from a Rainbow Runner on a P200 to a Pyro to an RT2000 to an RT.X100 on a dual Athlon 2100. The Pyro upgrade due to the switch to DV. The RT2000 on a PIII-700 due to getting tired of rendering during editing. The X100 primarily due to upgrading to DVD authoring, although there are many realtime effects I use all the time now, like color correction.

In the mean time, your optimal configuration is to use your 25 GB HD as your boot drive on IDE1 and your 120 GB HD as your video drive on IDE2. It's important to keep these on separate IDE channels, as Windows periodically needs to access the boot drive and will interrupt whatever you're doing. If you're doing a video capture or export at that time, the interruption causes dropped video frames. With the video drive on IDE2, both drives can be accessed without interference.

Return to posts index

rwv_99
on Jan 20, 2003 at 1:26:27 am

Thanks for the guidance. When I opened the PC, I found the boot drive (I discovered its a 30 gig) on IDE 1, and the 2 cd drives (one is a cd-rom, the other a cd/rw) on IDE 2.

Now my next question. Do I eliminate the cd-rom drive, and connect the cd/rw to the other connector on IDE 1 (with the boot drive) and connnect the IDE 2 cable to the 120 gig hd by itself, or do I also connect the cd-rom drive to IDE 2 along with the 120 gig drive (or something completely different)? I wouldn't be using the cd-rom drive while during video capture or editing, however I hope to export some short clips to cd using the cdrw drive.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 21, 2003 at 5:32:19 am

You can keep both cd drives, if you make the cd's SLA on IDE1 & IDE2 with the 120 GB as MAS on IDE2. XP has no problem mixing hard drives and cd drives on the same port.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]