FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should i partition my hard drive?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oosal
Should i partition my hard drive?
on Jan 16, 2003 at 4:06:11 pm

Ok on my new system i will have two 80 gig harddrives, for my sytem drive should i just leave it as a 80 gig or should i cut it down to a 30 or 40 and use the rest as storage?

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: Should i partition my hard drive?
on Jan 16, 2003 at 7:35:48 pm

Get another 30G hard drive as a boot drive, that's plenty for OS and document storage. Leave the two 80G for storage. Don't partition any of them.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

oosal
on Jan 19, 2003 at 5:30:13 pm

the 2 80s i have are the maxtor with 8mb cache by switching to just a regular a 7200 rpm drive is that gonna affect performance over the 8mb cache drive?

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
on Jan 19, 2003 at 8:33:04 pm

What matters for video is sustained throughput. The cache is of little value in sustained output as you need to output video for a long time not a short burst. For DV even 5400 rpm Maxtors are more than adequate for single stream video. IF you look at the sustained throughput in the spec sheet you will find that there is not much difference. IF you are creating lots of small preview files then a fast access time is important and again the cache may be of limited value. Ideally for video PC you would need the largest, lowest cost Harddrive to store the clips and a fast access drive to store previews. I store my clips on two 60G Maxtor 5400rpm drives and direct Premiere to use an 80G 7200rpm Maxtor for Preview files. A boot drive with fast access and reasonable cache would be the best but this doesn't have to be big since OS and applications do not take much storage 20G would be ample.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

oosal
on Jan 19, 2003 at 10:39:38 pm

I have another question for you. I need to know how to sync up something from a couple different angles. We were taping a concert with 3 different cameras, is there a easy way for me to sync all the video and sound up?

Return to posts index

Daniel Rodriguez
on May 14, 2003 at 3:19:34 am

"Multicam" it's a software package available on this site!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]