FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire or USB 2

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
owen
Firewire or USB 2
by
on Jan 14, 2003 at 6:47:19 pm

I'm a total novice, so please excuse a possibly dumb question. I have a Dell 4550 with USB 2.0 ports and I'm just getting into video capture, mainly to input from VCR VHS, edit and burn to CD. I may get a DVD burner later on and get a bit more serious. My system has Video Wave 4 (which came with a Vid Cam), the latest MS Movie Maker (just out), DirectX 9 and all the latest CODECs.
I'm trying to decide on whether to buy the Dazzle 150 (USB 2.0) or a Firewire PCI board. I'm leaning towards the USB connection, just for ease of usage, but I don't want to restrict the DV transfer and would prefer not have to play any games with the audio. I don't plan on making any serious videos, just for family usage.
System - P4@2.0, 400MHz Buss, 512 DDR SDRAM, 60Gb 7200RPM ATA, ATI 9700 TX, Sound Blaster, XP-Pro, 48-24-48 CD/RW w/Roxio. I use the system mainly for MCAD.
Any suggestions / advice will be appreciated..

Edward Owen - Novice

Well, over the past few days I've learned a lot about USB 2.0 and Firewire. USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s and Firewire "A" (the presently available version) is 400Mb/s. A new Firewire "B", which "should be" 800Mb/s is in the later stages of development - BUT, because USB 2.0 went over so big, 100's of devices now available and many, many more soon to come, there is a fairly widespread rumor (note RUMOR) that Firewire "B" may be too late to attract enough players to make it worth while. I personally hope not, speed feels good, more speed feels better!
For now, I'm going to sit on my laurels for awhile, not so much for Firewire "B", but to let the competition get at each other over devices using USB 2.0.

Return to posts index

digitaldot
Re: Firewire or USB 2
on Jan 22, 2003 at 9:08:08 pm

DAZZLE ALSO COMES IN EXTERNAL BOX...FIREWIRE CONNECTION...but your research says the usb 2.0 is faster...so I think the usb vs is cheaper as well. Do you know ? I am thinking of getting a Dell 8250 with the firewire card installed. but am not going with their capture box [video deluxe set up] am planning on either pinnacle or dazzle for the video editing onto dvd. and am thinking an external capture device, so that I could change easily when more stuff comes out.

Appreciate any of your firsthand knowlege. thanks for the post.

Return to posts index

owen
Re: Firewire or USB 2
by
on Jan 23, 2003 at 2:49:36 pm

As I'm a novice at this, you should really direct any questions to those with experience like the Video Guys support group.
What I have learned about the Dazzle 150, the only USB 2.0 supported device I could find from them, is that there may be some difficulty with the Audio being stored in a difficult to work with format, or at least requiring more steps to get the result you're after. The Pinnacle Studio 8 Deluxe product, Firewire not USB 2.0, appears to have all the basic "bells and Whistles" and comes with a PCI board and breakout box.
I'm personally going to wait awhile for more competition to emerge using USB 2.0. Microsoft was not going to support it for a while, and then changed their mind last December, and since then (two months or so), hundreds of USB 2.0 devices have hit the market. I figure, at that rate, that in another two to three months, there will be enough competition out there for me to be a little choosier.
There are a couple of negative threads here on this forum about the DELL 8250 when used for video capture, something about conflicting chipsets, or? One thing I've read many times, is to get a second hard drive dedicated for video capture, but other posts and articles mention that a single large high speed drive will work fine. It has to do with dropping frames while capturing. I'm going to try it with my single hard drive DELL 4550 system, then get another drive if necessary.

Edward Owen - Novice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]