FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I Capture Home Video Clips From DVD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
crawdaddy
Can I Capture Home Video Clips From DVD?
on Jan 5, 2003 at 3:56:01 am

I purchased a Phillips DVD Recorder (DVDR985) to archive 18 years worth of home videos from VHS, 8mm, Hi8, and DV onto DVDs. I intend to then use the DVDs as master sources for capturing clips.

My reasoning: 1: The tapes are getting old and are in 4 different formats. Transferring them all to DVD results in a single format (and a single playback machine for capturing) and preserves the footage. 2: The DVD's random access is much quicker than winding and rewinding a tape to find the few seconds of footage that you want to capture.

The recording process is going great. It's the next step that I need some help with.

What is the best method for capturing clips from the DVD masters?

My DVD recorder has Composite and S-Video outputs. My DV Camcorder supports Passthrough. It appears to me that the two best choices are: 1: Hook up the recorder's S-Video and audio outputs directly to the analog capture card in my PC or 2: Hook up the S-Video and audio output to my DV Camcorder and connect the camcorder's Firewire jack to the Firewire card in my computer.

Will these methods work? If so, which option is better? Are there other options?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]