FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need help getting set up!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NickSkihat
I need help getting set up!!!
on Dec 13, 2002 at 5:35:36 pm

Howdy guys!
I have been looking for a place like this for a while! (great message board) I want to buy a home editing system for myself in the near future.
MY TASK:
I have only worked on "deck to deck" SVHS editing systems while in highschool. I used to tape local rock concerts with anywhere from 3-6 cameras in clubs and large venues. The EXTREME labor of manually Syncing the bands playing in time with the audio turned me off because it was so slow-going. So we compiled more & more concert footage and didn't edit any of it. Now I have a MINT of old, rare concerts of bands I loved (now gone) on 8mm, VHS & SVHS just sitting at my parents house. (I used to go on tour with these bands also!)
The highschool always promised to upgrade to a digital w/multi camera editing system, and I guess they finally got it running, after years of piecemealing together.
So I have been looking on ebay at some of the "full setups" and they look to good to be true. (for $300?) I will need a system with the ability to edit at least 3 cameras simultaneously, synched with audio. One of the turnoffs, of the highschool digital editing system was that I wouldn't have enough space to save large clips of songs. I am interested in getting a setup that would be somewhat turnkey, (I am new at all of this) Affoardable, and capable of handling such large files.
If anyone can give reccomendations as to vendors, package systems, or prices (very important factor!) I would definitly appreciate it!!!! I am in the dark here! It breaks my heart to watch the "good old days" on dusty tapes and think "I am the ONLY one with this footage!!!!" Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: I need help getting set up!!!
on Dec 20, 2002 at 1:13:26 am

Hi there
If you have a computer that is fairly modern you should be able to edit on it. You should get windows ME or newer but Windows 2000 is the preferred choice for editing and once you have this you can format your drives to NTFS and this will allow you to capture unlimited file sizes to your computer (as large as your hard drive is). Also if you are serious about video editing you should get a dedicated hard drive just for video, you'll need it to be at least 7,200 RPM. I would recomment the Western Digital Hard drives with an 8 megabyte buffer. You should probably get at least a 60 gig hard drive as video takes up approx 5megs a second. You can look at packages on this site that vary greatly in cost from a simple firewire card and software for about $60 but by the sounds of it you will need a card that can capture from VCR's and such. The cheapest card that I can think of that will do this is the Dazzle DV Bridge I think it sells for around $300 and if my memory serves me correct I think it comes with Adobe Premiere. Adobe Premiere is a great program to edit with and the new version 6.5 has realtime effects. You can have up to 99 video tracks and 99 audio tracks so you could put each camera on 1 video layer and just cut to the camera that you want or you can get a specific 3rd party software that will let you view up to 4 camera's at the same time and cut back and forth to them. The dazzle card will probably be your cheapest solution for what you need, but there are cards like the Matrox RT X10 or X100 that offer alot more features and realtime performance but this would probably be overkill for what you are trying to do. There are places that sell preconfigured computers with all the hardware and software ready to go (such as DVline) but most of the systems are pretty advanced and expect to pay alot more than 300 try $5,500. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them. Good luck with your video's I hope everything turns out great for you!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]