FORUMS: list search recent posts

which video capture card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peetywondr
which video capture card?
on Dec 11, 2002 at 4:17:23 am

As I am new (newbie) to this forum, please bear with me for just a while till I get up to speed . . .

My main goal right now is to convert almost 400 VHS tapes to VCD or DVD for archival purposes. Many are tapes of things not available on DVD and probably never will be. Some educational material, most entertainment (movies recorded off of a 15 foot satellite dish prior to scrambling).

I have a AMD 1.8 gig processor w/1 gig of memory, 266 MHz FSB. Two 40 gig ata100 eide drives (western digital),and four 2.o USB ports. Video and audio are "on-board" but can be replaced with AGP 4.0 Graphics card and Sound Blaster audigy card if "on-board" isn't recommended. Video capture card I'm looking at is Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe (USB).

Any thoughts on this configuration would help me get started on the right foot. I've spent fortunes before, buying the wrong stuff and I would like to skip that this time by starting with the best I can get for the project I'm attempting. I'm not looking to do NLE until I get the basics down and can capture, render, and burn flawlessly, Then I'll look into expanding the system or building a dedicated system just for that.

Thank you to all that respond to my question . . .
Peetywondr

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: which video capture card?
on Dec 13, 2002 at 11:09:36 pm

Unfortunately, you may need to answer your questions for yourself. The Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe is a relatively new product and there hasn't been much buzz about it. From Pinnacle's description, it seems to be similar to the Snazzi USB2 capture device, which I really like. The Pinnacle does have a TV tuner which the Snazzi doesn't have. It may be a good choice for you as long as you understand that editing Mpeg limits your options. On the other hand, I doubt that Studio 8 is a good choice for editing Mpeg.

As far as your computer goes, I would wait until I chose a capture device and tested it on my computer before installing an AGP card and sound card. On thing to keep in mind is the addtional power they use.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Dec 19, 2002 at 1:02:27 pm

Anything involving computer editing should be completly non-intergrated. Serious Non-Linear users use at best, Pentium based systems with seperate video cards, (64 meg min.) soundcards, drives, ATA controller cards or scsi, and at least 512 meg of DDR Ram. When modifying an intergrated system to be non-intergrated always brings conflicts. I would suggest buying another system that you could order special made from Gateway, or other companies that offer custom built Machines. Otherwise, your stuck with software like studio 7 or 8 or other low grade software editing companies.
You can get a nice system custom built (without editing software or capture card) for under 1400.00

Return to posts index

Scott Cape
on Dec 26, 2002 at 11:00:16 pm

Well, since your source is all analog, you need to be looking at an analog capture board. You could go with something like the ATI All-In-Wonder, which is a very inexpensive solution but I can almost guarantee you that you are not going to be happy with the results of that. Let me cut to the chase. Before digital video took over the world one of the best analog capture boards you could get was the Fast (that's the brand name) Fast A/V Master. It is no longer made and I don't believe the company is even in business anymore (they were probably bought up by Pinnacle or another one of the big name DV hardware Mfgs.) Anyway, one of the unique things about this capture board was that it captured audio and video simultaneously on one board and the capture utility that they developed for this board kept the audio and video in "sync". This was an issue when capturing lengthy segments of video and capturing the audio with your sound card. I would recommend that you scour eBay daily until you find one. This is the PERFECT solution to your needs. Feel free to email me if you would like to further discuss this offline.

The Electronic Mailbox sold these cards and would check to see if they have one lyhing around somewhere. I'm sure that they would love to sell you a Matrox RT2500 to the tune of 750 bucks. But if you can find a Fast A/V Master it would be the best capture board you can possibly get for your particular project.

Regards,
Scott Cape

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 28, 2002 at 2:00:00 pm

We don't have any AV Masters around, but we do still have a few RT2500s left. Give us a call 800 323-2325 and we'll give you a VERY GOOD price.

Gary
Videoguys.com

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]