FORUMS: list search recent posts

I really want to start video editing but..........

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
t1barcode02
I really want to start video editing but..........
on Nov 26, 2002 at 7:10:32 pm

I really want to start video editing but I have no clue where to start. I have no computer. I do have a Sony Mini DV camcorder though. I am also on a budget, NO MORE THAN $2000.00 for the system. I dont need the best, of course, But I have a few things that I really want. I want a DVD burner. I really need some help on what I should buy. What computer system would do me best? I need the WHOLE thing for $2000.00 of less. Thanks SO much for the info.

Return to posts index

lflippin
Re: I really want to start video editing but......
on Nov 26, 2002 at 8:33:04 pm

You might consider one of the Dell desktops; however, in my experience (see elsewhere in this forum) you should most definitely NOT purchase Dell's bundled Movie Studio software/hardware package. It's not only bottom-of-the-line, it is unsupported with reasonable documentation and it doesn't seem to actually function (at least in my hands). Although I've never had a problem with Dell products before Movie Studio Deluxe (ha ha ha, the irony!)-over about 4 years and 3 of their computers--still, don't expect much in the way of constructive help from dellsupport.hell if you have technical questions that are even slightly out of the ordinary. Specialty user forums like this one are MUCH better for advice than Dell support. Plus, you won't have to spend hours on hold and receive smarmy, impersonal messages that are mostly designed to make you shut up and stop bothering them...but I'm assuming that's not a problem that is specific only to Dell.

Incidently, the Dell Movie Studio is VideoWave software, which I'd stay away from at all costs, and Dazzle hardware--which seems to function properly. I'm also trying to elicit opinions about the software to best replace VideoWave--the prices seem to range from $100 - $1500, with lots of interesting looking products around the $300 - $500 range. Like you, I'd also appreciate a really knowledgeable review of the software by users who have broad experience with it.

Lee

Return to posts index

t1barcode02
on Nov 27, 2002 at 2:10:30 am

Ok, thanks for the info. How does this sound?

*Pentium® 4 processor 2.0GHz w/ 400MHz system bus & 512K L2 Cache
*512MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
*120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
*17in (16.0 viewable,.25dp)M782 Flat CRT Monitor
*New 128mb DDR ATI Radeon™ 9700 TX Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
*New 4x DVD+RW/+R Drive w/CD-RW including Roxio's Easy CD Creator
*Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card
*Altec Lansing® ADA745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer
******$1,448.00*******

Would this be a decent computer to start editing my videos on? Also, I have Adobe Premiere on the computer I have now, but I don't have the CD. Is there any way I could get it to a new Computer if I get one? Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

lflippin
on Nov 27, 2002 at 3:47:54 am

That's pretty similar to the Dell 8200 configuration with XP op sys that I bought about 1/2 year ago and I'm very happy with the machine. It runs Sonar 2.0 (nice digital audio editing/processing software) very well and I've been able to edit some video with it using the dirt basic Windows Movie Maker program that comes with the XP package. From what I can tell your configuration should be fine for digital video processing--but, again, please don't be suckered by Dell's Movie Studio Deluxe offering: I, and apparently lots of other burned individuals on the Dazzle users group, think it's just crap. Hopefully, other people will have some good suggestions for you (and me) as to what software/capture card combo would best work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]