FORUMS: list search recent posts

I am afraid to start using RT2500-Can you help me?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MikeF
I am afraid to start using RT2500-Can you help me?
on Nov 24, 2002 at 9:17:17 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a computer from Alienware that is configured for dv editing. Some specs for it are P4 2000mhz, Asus p4b266, ram 768mb ddr pc2100, 80gb seagate barracuda for video, nvidia geforce ti 4400 128mb, DVR-AO3 dvd and a cdr-w. It came with the Matrox RT2500 installed and Adobe Premiere 6.0.

I have had the computer since June and I have never plugged in the dv camera...JVC Digital Cybercam GR-DVF21.

I know I am very lucky to have this system but..and i know how stupid this sounds... I have been afraid to start capturing.

Can someone give me a step by step guide from when to plug the camera in to turning things or refer me to a training video/how to for RT2500?

I would be willing to do a telephone tutorial and I if we could come to a fair arrangement I would be happy to pay if someone could take me through the steps form truning things on to capture, basic edit, then burn to tape or cd or dvd?

Also should I have a seperate login or profile for video editing? I am using XP.

I dont want to be afraid any more. 8-)

Thanks and have a GREAT day!
MikeF

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: I am afraid to start using RT2500-Can you help
on Nov 30, 2002 at 12:10:01 am

Hi there Mike
Been wanting to reply to this one for awhile, but been extremely busy, still don't have much time, but I'd like to try to at least respond quickly for now. You have a pretty sweet system I'm sure you'll love editing on it! I'm using the Matrox RT X100 and love it, its the newest verion of your card, I just upgraded to Premiere 6.5 but its very very similar to 6.0 so you should be able to understand my instructions. Before I go through the steps I just wanted to tell you that there are instructional video's for Adobe Premiere by companies such as Total Training and one called adita (I think thats the company, they sell the video's here on videoguys for that one) and the video's teach you right from the basics to pro techniques. Anyways here we go.
If you are starting up Premiere for the first time when it asks you if you want single track editing or A/B editing select A/B Editing. If you have already started using Premiere and selected single track, you can change it by selecting Window>Workspace>A/B Editing

When you first start up adobe premiere you'll come to a screen saying Load project Settings. I take it you live in the US or Canada, if so it is NTSC video standard. If you live in England or Europe then the standard is Pal so you will have to select a video standard. There is probably a selection under a heading labeled Matrox that will say DV-1394 Input. If your camera has a Firewire port (DV I394) then this is the best to select. Choose OK. Connect your camera to your computer Via firewire. The next thing you should do is put your camera in VTR mode sometimes called VCR mode. Then go File>Capture>Movie Capture
A window should open. The Capture Settings should be o.k. as long as you selected the right Load Project Settings when you first started up.

Before trying to capture you should Click on the Edit button under Preferences under settings. You now should choose the drive and folder that you want to save your captured video in. Once you have selected where you want to save the clips click OK. You should can now click play and find the spot on your tape where you want to capture. Just click the record button to record what you want and the stop button to stop recording. Enter the name for the clip. Capture as many clips as needed (Tip its alot easier editing to capture short individual clips then to capture 1 long clip of the whole movie). Close the capture window and your clips will be displayed in a bin. Now is a good time to save your project. Click File Save As and save your project. Then find the clip you want and drag it into the source menue you can Select the in point and out point for your clips by hitting the I key for the in point and the O for the out point then drag your video down into any of the video tracks probably Video 1A. Track 1 A and B are your transition tracks and Video 2-99 are your overlay tracks (they work similar to Photoshop, the higher layer will be on top of the bottom layer) and these tracks can be used for mates and Chromakeys as well as normal video. You can add a transition by having a clip on 1 A and 1 B and overlay them a bit then choose a transition and drop it in the tansition track on the timeline where tracks 1 A and 1 B overlap.
Well I have to get going, but I hope you can understand some of the stuff I said, I know some of my explantations aren't too clear, but if you have any other questions at all or want to know some more advanced techniques just reply to this and I'll try to answer them as best as I can and ASAP. Hope everything goes good for you and your making motion pictures in no time!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

MikeF
on Dec 1, 2002 at 7:28:34 pm

Brent! YOU BE DA MAN!
Thank you so much for this! I have been so busy, I want to apologize not having responded to you soner. I just got a chance to check the forum today. I dont want you to think you wasted your time with these instructions. I will print them and save them. I have to leave town tomorrow, Dec. 2. When I return on Dec. 10th you can bet using your instructions, I will give this video editing a try.

Thank you so much for you kind and helpful reply. I may have some more questions for you at some point. You are appreciated in the wilds of Wyoming, Brent!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
Warmest regards, MikeF

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Dec 1, 2002 at 8:12:50 pm

Hey Mike

Oh I know how busy things are, especially with the holidays comming, there's even more to get done. I hope the instructions are easy enough to understand. If you ever have any other questions at all I will do my best to answer them. Take care and have a safe trip. Happy Holidays

Later

Brent

P.S. When I purchased the Matrox DVX100 it came with a little 1 hour Premiere training CD that you watch on your computer. I just remembered it, I've never even opened it yet, but if you want I could burn you a copy and mail it to you. It should help you out as well, especially if some of my explanations aren't too clear.

Take care

Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]