FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dell syst/Dazzle capture card/VideoWave 4.0: HELP!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lflippin
Dell syst/Dazzle capture card/VideoWave 4.0: HELP!
on Nov 22, 2002 at 1:30:44 am

Hi Folks,

I'm so new to video editing that I haven't even been able to do any so far. My sad story:

I've been into digital audio editing for several years now and thought I'd get a nice, fast system to run Sonar, Digital Ear, and some other audio software: Dell Dimension 8200, 2.5 GigHz, 1 gig RAM, good sound card, 120 gig HD, top o' the line nvidia video graphics card, XP op sys, etc. Well, no problem so far--the system really cranks with all of my audio software.

But, I thought I'd also try out some ideas for video editing, which I've never done before. So, I opted for Dell's "Premium Movie Studio" bundle when I bought the system: Dazzle card--"Mojave", I think, but there was no name on it, just a bunch of code numbers plus VideoWave 4.0. I'm only recently beginning to realize that VideoWave 4.0 is looked down on as pretty sketchy software by quite a few users.

So, I get the capture card in a separate box from Dell w/ no instructions; however, I installed it and my XP Device Manager tells me that it is functioning properly. However, VideoWave 4.0 refuses to acknowledge that I even have a capture card, and the VideoWave help documentation offers no clue as to what may be the problem. I have de-installed/re-installed the software a couple of times to no avail. The software recognizes my Turtle Beach sound card okay, but I have no idea what to do next about getting it to say "howdy" to the video capture card.

Guess what?, neither does Dell "techsupport.hell". Never had to use them before now, but I thought these guys should be pretty knowledgeable about their products---wrong! They're pretty good at the usual list of CYA tricks well-known by complaint department personnel everywhere, but not very much else.

My questions are these: (1) Is there something obvious to all of you, that I'm overlooking, which might readily solve my VideoWave 4 problem? (2) Any recommendations come to mind, re: a higher quality, reasonably user-friendly video editing software package--money is an object, but $200 - $300 range would be feasible. Maybe a little higher if y'all think it's necessary...

Thanks, Lee

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: Dell syst/Dazzle capture card/VideoWave 4.0: H
on Nov 22, 2002 at 11:49:58 am

I would trash the dell video editing package and ship it back to them demanding your money back. Get a decent Pinnacle card for under a hundred bucks like studio version 7 or 8 and buy Adobe Premiere 6.5. This should work great with your system. Works in mine but I opted for a more stable, reliable OS System like Windows 2000 pro. That could be a future option for you to if XP gets pig headed, which it has been known to do in most editing software packages.

Return to posts index

lflippin
on Nov 22, 2002 at 8:55:47 pm

Thank you for the advice, Joe, I appreciate it. I will look into replacing the Dell-supplied software/hardware with your suggestions. Hopefully I can still wrangle a refund out of Dell! Lee

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 23, 2002 at 3:46:59 pm

Dazzle tech support has answered some questions about the Dell Movie Studio before on this forum. Perhaps they can do so again. You may also try contacting Dazzle. In the mean time here are a few questions.

Are you trying to import DV from a DV camcorder or are you trying to digitize from an analog source? You should be able to go into the capture settings in Video Wave and choose the device. If you have not done so already, try connecting the Dazzle device to the video source and your card with the power on both and check the various capture device settings shown.

Does the Dazzle device connect to your computer through the fire wire port?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 23, 2002 at 3:54:21 pm

Again, what evidence is there that Windows 2000 is more stable than XP when using the updated versions of editing sofware?

Return to posts index

lflippin
on Nov 25, 2002 at 7:30:22 pm

Thanks, kdaves, by now I have actually seen some other very helpful advice on a Dazzle-sponsored forum elsewhere.

I actually want be able to import DV from a camcorder and also to digitize analog video from a VCR. My problem so far has been that VideoWave 4 didn't recognize that I even have a capture device. So, following some Dazzle-forum advice, I got a 4-pin to 6-pin cable so I could actually hook up the camcorder to the Dazzle-box thingie (which is hooked up in turn to the functioning 1394 card)before launching VideoWave (of course, VW's slick book doesn't tell you any of this stuff--in 4 languages!). So far, so good: Now VideoWave recognizes that I've got a capture device; however, when I tried to use it for capturing DV directly from the camcorder (Sony) I got an error message, something like: "Class not registered". Nothing at all concerning error messages or trouble-shooting in VideoWave's docs--I'm getting rid of this POS software. But the card and Dazzle box seem to work--I was able to capture using Windows Movie Maker, a very basic program as you probably know.

Lee

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Nov 26, 2002 at 1:31:55 am

1. Is your Sony certified to work with XP?

2. Can you capture analog video? If so, in what format?

3. Can you capture directly through the fire wire card without the Dazzle device connected using Video Wave or Windows Movie Maker?

Return to posts index

lflippin
on Nov 26, 2002 at 8:10:25 pm

Hey kdaves,

Thanks for your continued interest in my problem(s).

(1) The Sony is a DCR-TRV740 Digital 8; the specs say that XP is a "preferred" environment for this model.

(2) So far, I've not been able to capture analog. One of the 1st naive things I tried was to hook up an analog VCR to the Dazzle box and record some analog using Videowave 4. (Not having any useful documentation to the contrary from Dell or Videowave, it seemed like a reasonable idea at the time). However, the VideoWave software never recognized that I had a capture card until I was able to hook up the Sony to the 1394 card, via the Dazzle box. Maybe most people already know this (even though VideoWave and Dell don't tell and/or don't know) but I had to learn from a Dazzle user forum that VideoWave must be launched only AFTER the DV camera was connected to the Dazzle box and powered up. Okay...so I did that, and VideoWave suddenly recognized that I have a capture card! The buggy software still wouldn't let me capture digital video from the DV cam however--when I try to do that I get a message, "Error occurred while trying to capture filename. Error: Class not registered". I have no idea what this means and, please believe me, neither does Dellsupport.hell VideoWave's documentation is about the poorest I've seen for a software product, and that's saying something!!! Their docs don't even include a trouble-shooting section or a description of error messages. Lovely people.

(3) I've never tried to bypass the Dazzle box; however, I was able to capture digital video from the Sony via the Dazzle box/1394 card using Windows Movie Maker. I'm definitely thinking at this point that VideoWave 4 is a piece of low-level crap that needs replacing. If I can convince myself that the 1394 card and Dazzle box (I've surmised from elsewhere that it "may" be a Mojave Dazzle box--they were apparently licensing this line to Dell) will work with higher-end software, I'll scrap the VideoWave 4 and get something decent. For example, Vegas Video 3 seems to have a reasonable reputation among its users...I'd definitely appreciate more advice on the software that's available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]