FORUMS: list search recent posts

want to build video editing pc..what do I need?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AccountNeedsRealnameUpdateOtherNamesWillBeTurnedOff
want to build video editing pc..what do I need?
on Nov 20, 2002 at 3:37:44 pm

I am going to rebuild my pc. Im going to buy a new motherboard,processor,memory, etc. What will I need to do video editing? I want to do both anolog from video tapes as well as from my Sony digital video camera which has an ilink port I believe. Is there a difference between ilink and firewire? Do I need a capture card? What software should I use? Should I buy a video card such as the ATI All in wonder? Or is there something better? I also want a dvd burner, any suggestions on that? I appreciate any help I can get!

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: want to build video editing pc..what do I need
on Nov 20, 2002 at 10:43:48 pm

Hi there
I would recommend using Windows 2000 Pro or Win XP (Win 2000 is my first choice). ilink and firewire and IEEE1394 are the exact same thing, IEEE1394 is the official name for it but sony calls it ilink and apple calls it firewire, but it is the exact same thing. You will need a capture card, because you want to also edit analog you will need a card that can capture both analog and firewire which is more expensive than just a firewire card (approx $69 for a Pyro firewire card) but I would look at a card from Dazzle or Matrox or Pinnacle (depending upon how much you want to spend, the dazzle should be the cheapest). Usually the capture card will come bundled with a editing software program. I know that the Matrox RT X10 comes with Adobe Premiere 6.5 and does realtime editing (No renderding effects) and has analogue as well as Firewire. I own the Matrox RT X100 and love it. Also the RT X10 comes with Sonic DVDit for DVD authoring, which would be a great thing to have if you get a DVD burner. The ATI all in wonder video card, is a great display card, but its not really a card for video editing, I would greatly recommend one of the cards I've mentioned. Also videoguys has a bundles package, Videocard and Pioneer A05 DVD burner for a package price. Its a great burner and I'm planning on ordering mine within the next couple weeks. I recommend you check out the products on this and other websites and read all the posts you can on the different cards and burners, so you can learn peoples experiences with the different cards and then you can decide which is within your price range and which card will benefit you most.
If there are any other quetions you have, please feel free to ask and I'll try to help you out as best as possible.
Good luck with your system!
Later
ciabt

Return to posts index

gus
by
on Nov 24, 2002 at 6:51:59 am

Coady I would definetely look at the pinnacle dv 500 card that comes with digital and analog ins and outs and is firewire friendly. I've been using it for over a year with adobe 6.5 premiere. I run pentium 4 1.5 , 700 m's of ram. I run 3 hard drives two internal 80 gigs each and external firewire that I will be installing this week. I use basic 4 pci slot mother board but if I had my time back I would like a 6 slot if even it is possible. I use nvida video card g2 with 64 m's and basic soundblaster sound card I use cakewalk for my audio processing such as voice overs and narrations

Return to posts index

fsbjr
on Mar 28, 2003 at 11:45:06 pm

I did considerable research on this subject.Of course personal preferences have a lot in the decision, but this is what I bought:
Instead of rebuilding my HP Pavilion,I bought a new case and Asus P4PE/LAN-UAY with 2.4 GHz and 1GB Ram.Added an ASUS GeForce 4 with dual monitor support,DVD-Rom and floppy.Got all of this and 40 GB drive for $800.Then I robbed the HP of Pinnacle 7 card, Pioneer A04, and 80GB drive.I was pleasantly surprised how fast I could edit with Studio 7 (and no problems)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]